TENT CAMPING AND COOK STOVE

Forvols

I am buying some new camping gear and when it comes to a cook stove I was going to get a camp chef
explorer. But now I have been thinking all I really need is a 2 burner coleman (propane). Camping will be
in a tent mainly me and the wife. Some trips maybe upto 4 adults, some trips maybe 4 adults and 2 pre-teen kids.

Which stove would you guys go with?

thanks
Tony

TraumaSlave

Car camping I assume. Guess it depends on whether you choose to pack Coleman tanks or a full sized tank. Also depends on the size of cookwear you have.

Forvols

In the past I did have a camper and colemann stove. I used the 1# bottles, sold the camper and let the stove go with it(mistake) a few years ago. Now going car tent camping. I would like to use a 20lb tank for stove, lantern and big buddy heater cause I have 3 tanks here at the house. Was set on the camp chef until I took a look at the advances coleman has made. Will be using 10in or maybe a 12in skillet, pot etc.

Tony

TraumaSlave

Not sure how far you are from Pigeon Forge but, Coleman has a well stocked outlet right next to Buds Gun Shop and Smokey Mt Knife. Worth a trip for a guys day. Prices are decent, better than Wally World, on most of their goods. #1 tanks are cheaper @ WMart.

AT Hiker

IMO anything under $100 is gonna be about the same quality. I have a bass pro "coleman" style 2 burner that has lasted 6 years.

Check out anything from MSR. Better yet get on REI and search their stove selections. REI has an excellent return policy...worth what little extra price you might spend there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stik

TraumaSlave":1a2m0mrf said:
Not sure how far you are from Pigeon Forge but, Coleman has a well stocked outlet

don't take your gun.

i have 4 coleman stoves. one old white gas model that is still going strong. a 2 burner propane. a single burner with griddle. and one that is just a griddle.

Brisco Darlin

i take our two burner coleman for car tent camping but mostly i like to haul out the cast iron and do all the cooking over the fire.

jakeway

If weight and space isn't an issue, go with the Camp Chef hands down. I bought the single burner version (Pro-30) and use it about 3 times a week at home. Wish I'd bought the two-burner version. The only time I use my Coleman any more is when cooking a shore lunch while fishing.

BTW, I also recommend the cast iron dutch ovens and skillets on the fire.

AT Hiker

All I can say is I love my 2 burner camp chef. No its not a grill, but you could put a cast iron griddle on it. You can also blow through some fuel with both burners on full blast, I was amazed how powerful those burners are.

sharpshooter

Would the camp chef get hot enough for frying fish and possibly a turkey? I have thought about buying one but haven't researched them for frying turkeys or fish. Seems to me it should, and would be a better option than a single burner turkey fryer.

AT Hiker

sharpshooter":3fke4yov said:
Would the camp chef get hot enough for frying fish and possibly a turkey? I have thought about buying one but haven't researched them for frying turkeys or fish. Seems to me it should, and would be a better option than a single burner turkey fryer.

Like a whole turkey? Not sure you could get a pot on the burner big enough for it and if you could then you would want to get an attachment for a larger propane tank (not sure if they are available for camp chef).

They will easily get oil hot enough to fry fish but the problem I see with frying lots of fish (or a turkey) is keeping a consistent temperature.

I would get one of those cheap bass pro fryers on a stand for frying or boiling large batches of anything.

AT Hiker

Well I just seen some very large 3 burner camp chefs at Sports Academy, those might work for turkey and fish. They already have the large propane attachment on them. $199

Latest posts