Tennessee Fur HarvesterAssociation

Farm manager

The TFHA has a Facebook page which has seemingly, working better for the most part than the webpage. Anyone interested in learning more about trapping and/or fur handling need to attend some of our events such as the workshops or training camps. The chance to spend time with some very experienced trappers, asking about your specific situations is worth more than you can imagine as far as helping you around the learning curve.

TX300mag

Thanks farm manager. I don't Facebook, but I'm looking into this. My son is trying to learn to trap. I'm limited since the cost for me to trap is $211 additional on top of my license. I received clarification today that he can trap with junior sportsman until he turns 16, so we'll take advantage of that the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farm manager

TWRA has really got on board with our association over the last couple of years and that partnership has really made for some good events.
Lots of things can stand in the way of a new trapper's aspirations and cost is a big one. Another is where to sell your catch. Fortunately for folks these days, the internet has opened up a world of information to everyone. That being said, the internet cannot give you the same information and individual attention that you can get at an event such as our training camps or Fall Rendezvous.
Something to think about: One thing that trapping has over most any other sport ( and sport is how I think that trapping should be viewed) is that you can cover your costs/expenses with the money made from the sale of fur and other byproducts. My brother-in-law and myself spent somewhere in the neighborhood of a$1,000-$1,200 back in 1986-87 on traps, lures, stretchers, and books. With no prior experience and only a limited amount of mentoring, we covered our expenses with our first year's fur harvest. Well guess what, those traps have been taken care of as has the other equipment and it is still serviceable today even though it has seen quite a bit of use. How many other sports endeavors offer that? It's a great lesson in life also, as the rewards are relative to the amount of effort expended. In other words, the more you put in it the more you can get out of it.

DebTN

Hi all,

I am a new member here on TNdeer.com
Thanks to Farm Manager for hooking me up with such a neat group of people.
I'd like to to a minute to post Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association's Calendar of Events for 2018. I've included a couple NTA events as well, since we have booths at these events.
Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to come join in on any event. You never have to be a member to attend and you never have to pay to attend.
Our Trapper Training Camps (we now have 2 annual 3 day camps and a newly added one day camp) are loaded with a wealth of knowledge, lots of fun, food and fellowship with like-minded individuals. Hope to see y'all soon.

FEBRUARY 3
9:00 am Central Time
Beachel's FUR HANDLING WORKSHOP
711 McGinnis Rd Crossville, TN 38571

FEBRUARY 15 - 18
Booth at NWTF Convention's Family Fun Adventure Village @ Opryland/Gaylord Convention Center

FEBRUARY 17
9:00 am Eastern Time
District 1 & 2 FUR SALE
Ottway Ruritan Club
Greeneville, TN

FEBRUARY 23 - 25
BUFFALO RIDGE TRAPPER TRAINING CAMP
Buffalo Ridge Wildlife Refuge
1535 Cuba Landing;
Waverly, TN 37185

MARCH 3
FUR SALE
Crossville/Cumberland County Fair Complex
Check-ins 8:00am Central Time
Sale begins 9:00 am Central Time

MARCH 23 - 25
HIWASSEE TRAPPER TRAINING CAMP
Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge
545 Priddy Rd; Birchwood, TN 37308

APRIL 27 - 29
ANNUAL SPRING MEET
Big Ridge State Park
Check-ins 4:00 pm Eastern Time

JUNE 16
ONE DAY MEET
Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park (shelter 2)

JUNE 28 - 30
Fur Takers of America Covention
513 E 17th St.
Marshfield, WI

JULY 26 - 28
59th Annual NATIONAL TRAPPERS CONVENTION
Escanaba, MI
Upper Peninsula State Fairgrounds

AUGUST 4
District 5 MEET
9:00 am Central time
Doug McKenzie's
180 Michael Ln
Madisonville, TN

SEPTEMBER 8
One Day TRAPPER TRAINING CAMP @ Tennessee College of Applied Technology
426 TN-91
Elizabethton, TN 37643

OCTOBER 5 - 7
NTA SOUTHEAST CONVENTION
Northeast Alabama Agri-Business Center 1571 McCurdy Ave N
Rainsville, Alabama

OCTOBER 18 - 21
ANNUAL FALL CONVENTION
Fall Creek Falls State Park Group Camp 2
(Check ins at 4:00 pm Thursday)
OCTOBER 20 - ANNUAL CRAWFISH BOIL/FISH FRY

NOVEMBER 3
District 1 & 2 MEET
Panther Creek State Park

double browtine

My two older boys and I attended the trapper training at Buffalo Ridge last year. We are going to attend again this year too. So far this year, they have caught a coon and a possum in their dog proof traps.

I recommend you go, if you are interested in trapping. We are looking forward to the event again this year. Great bunch of folks with a wealth of knowledge on trapping and preparing hides.

TN Song Dog

Received this email. Glad to see TWRA supporting the association.
d945d6303e669106f7c7028752c7209d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TraumaSlave

I just found this set of posts. Farm Manager, I hope I met you this weekend. I have a feeling DebTN was the wonderful woman who was taking care of the meals. I mentioned it in my post and must say it again, thank you so much for this weekend. The hospitality was overwhelming and the focus on the children was above and beyond. That's hard to come by these days.

My wife works with Wendell, who invited us. I couldn't believe she would even consider attending an event with this subject matter. We brought our son (12) and daughter (11) and they both had a great time. My son and I learned so much that we both now have the bug. I guess there goes more hobby $$$$.

double browtine

TraumaSlave":oo8h92g1 said:
I just found this set of posts. Farm Manager, I hope I met you this weekend. I have a feeling DebTN was the wonderful woman who was taking care of the meals. I mentioned it in my post and must say it again, thank you so much for this weekend. The hospitality was overwhelming and the focus on the children was above and beyond. That's hard to come by these days.

My wife works with Wendell, who invited us. I couldn't believe she would even consider attending an event with this subject matter. We brought our son (12) and daughter (11) and they both had a great time. My son and I learned so much that we both now have the bug. I guess there goes more hobby $$$$.

I met FM and spoke with him for a bit. This was the second year that I attended. The first year I brought my two oldest boys.
This year the whole family came. It was an amazing turnout. Lots of great folks in the TFHA. Wendell does an awesome job teaching how to skin and flesh out the animals. He remembered me and the boys from the first year at Buffalo Ridge. He is a super nice guy.