Tennessee Fur HarvesterAssociation

Farm manager

Anyone with questions concerning trapping in TN, be it rules, regs, methodology, or personal preferences (traps, baits, lures, etc.) go to: tfhaonline.net and join the forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks who will be glad to help you out.
Trapperman.com is an international forum that can provide a wealth of information.

TN Song Dog

I emailed two of the TFHA cabinet members, requesting info and resources for a beginner trapper, with no response. This was in Fall of 2015. I would still be interested in attending the annual meeting, though.

Farm manager

Sorry to hear that you couldn't connect. Some of us are online regularly but the majority probably don't check in very often. That said, if you go to the website tfhaonline.net and sign into the forum, someone should reply to any questions you may have within a day or so.

Trapper

I've not had good luck with them either and I've been a member for years with them.Don't take me the wrong way there is some good people there and a few that need to hang up their position . I think a few of them want to be star trappers and don't won't to take the time to help the small guy's .

ronnycl

ditto- I spoke with a guy in middle tn about getting in touch with someone in west tn who help me get started....left the guy a message in the spring still waiting.... I will get my education thru youtube. Maybe time for a cabinet change?

Farm manager

Sadly our forum is not very active. Some of our members frequent other trapping websites like trapperman.com which is a great place to get some info. But if you have a question about the group (tfha) you can post your questions on the forums and I am sure that you will get a response in a day or two.

Farm manager

We just had a fantastic Fall Rendezvous at Fall Creek Falls. Several supply dealers were present. Some big names in the business were there doing demos. The food was great, the fellowship was awesome.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
I am a Life Member of the TFHA.......but live in Dallas TX for the time being....... I would encourage novice trappers to join TFHA and attend the get togethers........great bunch of trappers for sure.

Also, if you have some spare time, go to the trapperman.com web site and review all it has to offer. There are tremendous amounts of trapping knowledge on that site if you just put in some time! Good catch to you this year and safe travels.

Farm manager

The TFHA and TWRA are hosting a new 3 day Trapper Training Event at the Buffalo Ridge Refuge near Lobelville, TN on the last weekend of February. this should be relatively convenient to the folks in middle and west TN. Located approx. 2 miles south from interstate 40 exit 143.

For the folks in East TN there is a similar event being held at the Hiwassee Refuge near Birchwood, TN. This event has been going on for several years and has always recieved rave reviews. Very family oriented and very educational. Go to tfhaonline.net for more information and contacts.

Also the only fur sale that TFHA is hosting this year will be on March 4, at the Cumberland County Fair Complex in Crossville, TN. More info on the website.

Farm manager

The Trapper Training Camp is open to the public at no charge and even the meals will be provided at no charge. Contact John Daniel at: 423-595-0986 or [email protected] for more information. TFHA website at: tfhaonline.net and look under upcoming events

Farm manager

Just wanted to say that the Trapper Training Camp was a great time and a big success. The TFHA instructors spent two days with new TWRA officers along with some WMA technicians putting them through the same training as the public received over the weekend. There were around a hundred or more folks attended and received their Trapper training certification. We had good weather, great food, and fantastic fellowship. Every step involved in land and water trapping was explained from trap modification to making the sets, to processing the fur. If you happen to be one of those rare folks on here that doesn't already know everything, there is another training camp coming up March 17-19 at the Hiwassee refuge. The same contacts as the event this past weekend. This year the TFHA is also hosting the National Trappers Association's Southeastern regional rendezvous at Crossville in early October. Great place to learn from the demo's, buy traps and supplies, meet the folks that make the baits and lures , and if you are one that already knows everything, you might even find someone to listen to you tell how it's done.

Farm manager

Trappers in TN need to be aware that the trapping regulations have recently been changed tremendously in a way that will we can or should appreciate greatly. Trapping regulations have been under the control of the legislature forever. Recently a bill was proposed and passed that put trapping regulations under the control of TWRA as is hunting and fishing. This allowed for the wildlife commission to modify the regulations and they did just that. Go to TFHAonline.net to see the report from TFHA Pres. John Daniel, on the changes that have transpired. A big victory for TN trappers who are now seen to have some of the most common sense, and practical trapping regulations in the country.
Thanks goes to the elected board and many other members of TFHA who have put in countless hours promoting trapping and fur handling across the state along with developing a great relationship with TWRA in the process. In the current "all about me" world that we live in, it is remarkable to see folks willing to give up loads of time and lots of their own money (to cover fuel, lodging, and other expenses when away from home say at a booth at the NWTF or a trapper training camp). These changes would have never come about without the work of these folks and their commitment to the TFHA and trappers of TN. Another reason to belong to and support the Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association.

Farm manager

For anyone interested in trapping or trapping supplies!!!
The National Trappers Association is holding it's Southeastern Regional Convention in Crossville this Friday and Saturday (Oct 20-21) It should be a good get together. All the vendor spots filled up shortly after the dates were set back in the early summer and more were added. Some of the most popular and most widely known trappers in the country will be giving demonstrations of their methods both days. The fellowship is always great, the prices for supplies is usually below retail and no shipping.For more information go to www.nationaltrappers.com/southeast.html
This will be the biggest thing relative to trapping that will happen in this state for a few years.

TN Song Dog

I'm kicking myself for not taking note of this date, several months back... if anyone is remotely interested in trapping, this is the event to go to. I bet a new trapper would learn more in these two days than in a seasons worth of trying to teach yourself.

They have some big names in the coyote and bobcat lineups. I'd love to see the Matt Jones demo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BlountArrow

Farm manager, any upcoming events? Just saw your posts moments ago, haven't checked out the website yet. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Farm manager

The next function will be a fur handling training in Crossville, then the Buffalo Ridge Trapper Training near Lobelville, and then Hiwassee Trapper Training near Birchwood. These events are very informative and are for all ages. They can improve your ability to catch more and different critters along with giving you the information and training you need to maximize your income from the pelts harvested. Well handled "put up" fur almost always brings considerably more money than does "green" pelts. The dates and some details should be available at tfhaonline.net

Latest posts