Tennessee Fishing & Hunting Licenses

utvolsfan77

How many of you guys are military veterans, regardless of whether you retired from the military or not? How many of you receive VA benefits?

As long as you were not dishonorably discharged and you have a VA disability rating of 30% or more, you can get a Tennessee permanent disabled vet license for a little of nothing. I think it was $10 when I got mine nearly 20 years ago, but I'm sure it probably has went up a little bit since then.

Having said the above, it is not quite as generous as what the annual or lifetime sportsman license is because there are a few things you still have to pay a small fee for if you want to participate such as quota hunts, WMA permits, the county-based doe permits during rifle season (Type 94), etc. Still, this disabled veteran license covers all basic fishing and hunting seasons and it NEVER EXPIRES!!!

You cannot go into a local agent or regional office to get this - you have to download a form on the TWRA website, complete it, then mail it to the main office in Nashville. Once it is approved, they will mail it out to you, and it is like a credit card. Mine had become so worn from sliding around in my wallet that it was nearly unreadable, so I called Nashville last October and gave them my TWRA number. I received a replacement card in my mailbox about 4 or 5 days later!

Overall, this is a heck of a deal and covers 99% of the types of fishing and hunting I have done during my 64 years on this rock. If you have buddies that are vets, please spread the word to them. Better yet, help them get this permanent license then take a disabled vet fishing or hunting with you for a day. I can promise you that they will appreciate this small act of kindness more than you will ever realize!

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

My son isn't a vet (he's 13), but he has down Syndrome. He got a similar license for, I think it was 10.00. It's lifetime as well. I did have to provide a letter from his doctor confirming his disability....but it wasn't anything elaborate.
Should also note...pretty sure they done away with the type 94 for the "special season antlerless" hunts. I think it's only for non quota wma hunts now.

Dingo

I believe the law reads that you must be 100% service-connected disabled OR 30% disabled by reason of service in any war. I am a 40% disabled veteran with service in war, but my disability is less than 100% and not resulting from a no-kidding combat wound. So I don't believe I meet the criteria.

Here is the link:

Patriot1539

I believe the law reads that you must be 100% service-connected disabled OR 30% disabled by reason of service in any war. I am a 40% disabled veteran with service in war, but my disability is less than 100% and not resulting from a no-kidding combat wound. So I don't believe I meet the criteria.

Here is the link:
You DO meet the eligibility requirements. Your Service Connected Disability DOES NOT have to be a "Purple Heart" type wound. You don't have to have been shot or blown up... YOU QUALIFY BROTHER!

Stalkhunter

I have life time lic I bought and I am 100% disabled combat vet. I prefer the lifetime one over the Vet one because it just gives me what I want without purchasing anything else.

It's a good program though for ones that can't afford the life time.

One thing I like I just found out for back home hunting my out of state pic will only cost me 10.00 now to hunt deer.

Omega

I was only 30% when I applied and received mine. They didn't explain all the ins and outs of it, like the WMA permits but I don't hunt those so was fine, but they need to put in a flyer of some sort when you get your license because you can end up ticketed otherwise since there is very little put out about what restrictions the Vet license has. For a long time I was under the impression that it was a regular lifetime sportsman's license.

Latest posts