Tellico

Volbuck777

First time fishing tellico was today. I had a great time with a great friend. It was hard to find a hole without someone fishing in it, but when we did, we caught fish. We went way up above where most people were fishing and started catching a few natives. We ended up catching our limit in an hour or so.

Attachments

• C9DAF2D3-75F7-402B-B435-16776B564C9C.jpeg
    C9DAF2D3-75F7-402B-B435-16776B564C9C.jpeg
    980.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 65FFA8F8-46D9-486E-AA5D-602B6EC52878.jpeg
    65FFA8F8-46D9-486E-AA5D-602B6EC52878.jpeg
    712.1 KB · Views: 145

Volbuck777

Good deal! Agreed - the key is going where others won't. Been going there several times a year for many years. Another thing, we get there at daylight
Yea we were a little late, about an hour after daylight. I sure didn't see anybody else or did I talk to anyone else with a limit.

Hduke86

I love taking my boys to tellico but we don't do the weekends. We go on Tuesday,Wednesday and usually have pick of where we want to fish. I know most normal schedules for people working is a Saturday and Sunday but over the last 16 years mine is usually Monday-Tuesday or Tuesday-Wednesday off which has its benefits especially for public lands. Tellico is a great place to take kids

Crow Terminator

My hats off to you for going on a Saturday. You couldn't pay me to go up there on a Saturday. Even if you get there way before daylight and sit on a good spot you usually have people that come stand on the same rock with you. But...typically that upper river area about 2 campgrounds above the hatchery to the state line doesn't get fished as hard because it's narrower and doesn't have those big deep pools. Some people think if it's not a deep pool that it doesn't get stocked. The span from the hatchery to green cove gets pounded because that's where 90% of the big brood stock trout are released and caught. Anywhere below there is usually just people fishing for a limit to take home. I like it Tuesday and Wednesday best. But my work schedule changed and I don't have those days off like I used to. Depressing!

flyinpro

Love Tellico but agree with several, never on a weekend unless it's around October and stop by April. Week days mostly.
Over fished all summer and jet skies into every cove.

In the past 20 years I look at it as the lake the TWRA forgot. Stocking for trout is good, but the rest sparingly from my view point.

CATCHDAWG

Love Tellico but agree with several, never on a weekend unless it's around October and stop by April. Week days mostly.
Over fished all summer and jet skies into every cove.

In the past 20 years I look at it as the lake the TWRA forgot. Stocking for trout is good, but the rest sparingly from my view point.
He's talking river, not lake. No jet skies up there. Just 10,000 people and truck trout.

CATCHDAWG

Wouldn't "natives" be brook trout?
Depends on who you're talking to but yes. True southern strain brookies are native but they are now stocking northern strain into a lot of tailwaters and that falls into the category of "truck trout". If a trout is born and bred in a particular stream, I refer to them as "wild trout". Regardless if it's a Rainbow or Brown or Brookie. Rainbows and Browns are not "native".

Crow Terminator

That's on the Little Tennessee. The op was on the Headwaters of the Tellico River in Monroe county above Tellico Plains. I can assure you, you want see any jet skies there! Lol
Dont give them any ideas or challenges. The kayaks are going further and further up the river. Used to be you'd only see them just below Bald River Falls and further down river. I've seen them as far up as the hatchery lately. If they get those jetskis with self cleaning intakes, they'll be running up through there.

Latest posts