Campgrounds Near Tellico River

Hitit9999

Anyone of a campground that's open? That can take a 40 foot RV? Thinking about taking my dad. He's never been to fish the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

All Campgrounds and bathroom facilities are closed. I was there Saturday fishing with my daughters (never seen it so crowded). I actually watched a family with an elderly lady in a wheel chair set up a picnic lunch at one of the tables. Before they finished their sandwiches, the USFS ranger was issuing them some type of citation and they quickly left.

Crow Terminator

The "wilderness" camps are still open. It's the ones with bathrooms and picnic tables that are closed.

That is THE place people are going to right now. I fish Tellico and Citico through the week Mon-Wed and typically have it to myself. Went up there this morning and honestly, I thought I had my days mixed up and that it was a Saturday. People were everywhere. Nearly every pull off from Turkey Creek up past the hatchery had people fishing, swimming, or taking pictures. By lunch time, when I got near Bald River Falls, I thought there had been a wreck. Traffic was backed up and people were parked waayyyy up above Baby Falls and walking. They didn't have enough sense to get out of the road when walking. As we crept along at walking pace in my truck...I.saw why. The entire parking area for Bald River Falls was full and you couldn't have fit another person on the bridge with people taking pictures. I've never seen so many people there in my life. I left and went to Citico hoping it would be better. It was, for the most part. Still more people than normal up there fishing for a Monday. The smaller campgrounds did have people staying at them in tents.

On a side note, 37 year old Crow T lay down on a rock and cried. And nearly vomited. I have fished those rivers since I was 6 yrs old. Today I lost the biggest trout I've ever seen in life. I even got to touch it. I couldn't fit it in my net and think I actually knocked the hook a little loose trying to net it. It took 3 big runs, jumped completely out of the water 3 times. Only trout I've ever had on that stripped drag. For a minute I thought somebody was playing a joke on me and had somehow turned a salmon loose in there....it was really red colored like that. Big ole hooked bottom jaw. I can tell you it was 28 to 29 inches long and looked as big around as a 6x6 post. It was bigger than any bass I've ever caught for sure. I was going to try and get my hands/arms underneath it and cradle it to me. I was able to and got it up on the rock I was laying on...and it did one last flop/shimmy and came unhooked and was gone. I just lay there sick. Caught a few little 7 to 10 inchers but threw them all back. Couldn't quite shake the defeat of losing that big one.

CATCHDAWG

That sucks Crow! But hey, that's one memory you won't forget! I think it's pretty cool they release those "Tellico trophies" every now and then. It keeps the possibility of catching a huge trout in a highly pressured stream realistic.

JCDEERMAN

That sucks Crow. Love that area and fished above Bald River Falls many times. It seems to have become a tourist trap. Now with COVID, all the places to go outside publicly are getting filled with people trying to get some fresh air, but instead are crowding around each other...just outside now.

Crow Terminator

Citico campgrounds have been running over with people. I guess since people can't camp on Tellico they have found their way down to Citico. Some have basically been living up there. I go about 2 times a week and they've been in the same places for the last several weeks. Double Camp campground 13 is always popular on the weekends but almost nobody staying there during the week. I bet after Sunday's rain, some, if not all of it was under water. Monday, the USGS water flow report for Tellico measured it at 20,000 CFS. It averages 250-300 CFS. So it was RAGING.

Just my opinion....they ain't stocking Citico as heavy as they normally do. Even during the week, in years past I could go up and limit out. Sometimes doing it in just one hole...or getting close to a limit and finishing it off at another. This year...I'm not catching fish in some of the holes that have always produced. Not even bites. Not even seeing some swimming around like normal. I've got my limit once up there this year. Have had to resort to hopping over to Tellico and finishing up if I want a limit. Granted, it might be possible if I was one of the early birds that get up there at 1 a.m. on a Saturday morning and camp out/block a good spot. But sure not doing it through the week like I had been. In the mean time, have been trying to learn the Hiwassee for a change and chance at a bigger trout. So far...Hiwassee 4 and Crow 1. Yep. That's 4 skunked trips.

Latest posts