tecomate vs biologic

deer_hunter

what is the best i have tried tecomate food plot seed the monster mix i seem to have great luck out of, the question is has any one made a food plot out of the biologic full draw seed or anything similar.

JCDEERMAN

We planted Biologic "Green Patch Plus" for the first time this year and it looks pretty good. But I always stick with Imperial Products. Their "No-Plow" works great! And the deer love their "30-06" - mineral supplement that I put in salt licks

BUT everything all depends on how you prepare for it (fertilize, spray, lime, etc...) and plant at the right time

JCDEERMAN

The only reason I like some of the "brand names" like Imperial, is for their (round-up ready/fertilizer) coating that they have on it. BSK correct me if I'm wrong, thats just what I have been told the coating was on it. We planted it, there were virtually no weeds, came up very good, and the deer demolished it. Have used it for a good 5+ years now

BSK

deer_hunter said:
what seeds do you buy to make a good plot

That depends on the soil conditions, sun aspect, plot shape, time of year, equipment available, what I want the plot to accomplish (attraction versus nutrition), as well as many other factors. I just spent the time to learn (through experimentation) what will grow in my area and what deer like.

BSK

JCDEERMAN said:
The only reason I like some of the "brand names" like Imperial, is for their (round-up ready/fertilizer) coating that they have on it.

I doubt it is a "round-up" coating. Round-up only kills living plants and must be absorbed through the leaf (not roots).

Most commercially clover mixtures have an innoculation coating on the seed.

woodchuckc

You can also buy innoculant-coated clover directly (not in one of the commercial mixes), but it is considerably more expensive.

Since I am a cheap skate, in the past I have just gotten a bag of the appropriate innoculant for the specific type of legume seed, mixed up some concentrated sugar water and mix the seed, innoculant and sugar water together really well. Spread the seed out on a sheet and let it dry (not in the sun - that will kill the innoculant bacteria!). When dry, you can spread it in your seed spreader as usual.

By the way, if you have already had innoculated clover or other legume in your plot, you don't need to re-innoculate since the bacteria live in the soil for several years.

hard county

BSK said:
JCDEERMAN said:
The only reason I like some of the "brand names" like Imperial, is for their (round-up ready/fertilizer) coating that they have on it.

I doubt it is a "round-up" coating. Round-up only kills living plants and must be absorbed through the leaf (not roots).

Most commercially clover mixtures have an innoculation coating on the seed.
I think that the coating is actually grow coat which you can buy seperately if im not mistaken innoculants cant be put on seed until just before planting.

Terry Cunningham

Food Plots,

Year around food plots: 5lbs Durna clover per acre.
3-4 lbs Chickory per acre
Add some red clover if you like

In September each year I seed drill in:

30 lbs of Winter wheat per acre
3-4 lbs of DER per acre
8-10 lbs of Austian winter peas per acre

Our land is Strip pit land and we do not fertilize. We do apply lime to all food plots. We have about 61 acres of food plots on 1500 acres of mountain land. We have the only food plots within miles of our property.

Over 13 years this has become our best and cheapest way to plant food plots. In the past we have planted everything but this works the best for us.

BSK

hard county said:
I think that the coating is actually grow coat which you can buy seperately if im not mistaken innoculants cant be put on seed until just before planting.

Some commercial seeds to have a fertilizer coating, but many commercial clover seeds (and other legumes) do have a pre-innoculant on them.

A

Anonymous

CO-OP seeds all the way. Tailored to fit the soil in YOUR area. Talk to the guy known as the "outside salesman" and he'll hook you up. Soil tests, fertilizer, seed, the whole nine yards at less than a third of the cost... Now I'm going to brace myself because I know I'm gonna get blasted by those who've either worked for one of the companies or by those who love to collect the pretty bags.

BSK

bucknasty said:
Now I'm going to brace myself because I know I'm gonna get blasted by those who've either worked for one of the companies or by those who love to collect the pretty bags.

No you won't, at least not from me. My ex-boss and mentor invented BioLogic. I did a lot of testing of cultivars for the product here in TN. Yet even at the time I still bought a lot of seed at the Co-op (although there were BioLogic products I used).

Good commercial seed mixes have their place. They can provide unique plant cultivars to help maximize nutritional intake. However, most of my plots are just fall-season attractant plots. "Cheap" local seeds can go a long way for those type plots.

Now if I had numerous acres of bottomland nutritional plots, I would be using more commerical seed, especially hybrided forage soybeans.

Quailman

BSK,

Not to get too far of topic, but it's something I've talked about recently at a couple of wildlife field days. One thing you and others may want to discuss is some of the myths surrounding commercial seed blends, media hype for certain "specialty" seeds, and what type and how much nutrition a deer really needs.

I'm not discounting commercial mixes by any means, because I have used them in the past with good results. But, I have gotten somewhat frustrated with the constant barrage of commercials and hunting shows touting "high protein levels, high preference", etc., when a deer actually requires far less than what may be available in one of these "miracle" plants.

I also think many land managers overlook the true value of native habitats, not realizing that native plants can provide as much, if not more nutrition than anything we can plant. Food plots should only supplement your native food sources.

I could go on and on with this topic, but I've got to leave shortly to help set up for a conservation banquet. I'll check in later.

A

Anonymous

Quailman said:
I also think many land managers overlook the true value of native habitats, not realizing that native plants can provide as much, if not more nutrition than anything we can plant. Food plots should only supplement your native food sources.

Very well-stated quailman.

By the way, the soybeans are my personal favorite. Maximum year-round benefit, high preference, they'll mostly still eat the native stuff, but I feel like it provides a great secondary source.

BSK

As you well know Quailman, I've said a million times food plots are highly over-rated in most situations. I would much rather see well-managed habitat and lots of natural food sources instead of a big section of mature hardwoods and one or two little food plots scattered around.

Give me early-stage regrowth and lots of weed fields!

Latest posts