Tecomate ultra forage mix

primos32

I'm thinking about planting tecomate ultra forage mix this fall and was wondering if anybody has used it and had success?

deerchaser007

I recommend you mix your own. You can't beat this mix in my opinion.
50 lbs oats or wheat
15 lbs crimson clover
5 lbs arrowleaf clover
5 lbs dwarf essex rape
This will cover a 1 acre plot size.
This is a annual plot,. not a perrenial. For a perrenial plot i recommend
50 lbs oats or wheat (nurse crop)
7 lbs red clover
5 lbs white clover
1 lb chicory
2 lbs dwarf essex rape ( winter food source)

If you just simply don't care a thing about mixing yourself ,.. i recommend
Imperial pure attraction for a annual plot
Pennington durana clover with tecomate chicory for a perennial. I would still use the oats or wheat for a nurse crop!!

deerchaser007

Do not mix wheat if you plant a premixed annual planting. Overseeding of a cereal grain can prevent some of the other seeds from germinating and growing to their potential.

deerchaser007

primos32 said:
o ok thanks for the tip. i never really thought of that. but makes alot of sense

I've made that mistake before ,. and there is no sense in using to much wheat (50 lbs is 7 or 8 dollars) and it outcompete or shade out some clovers that can be 5 to 7 dollars a pound. Expensive mistakes that maybe i can pass on to others and save them the trouble and money.

The only thing worse in my opinion is a mix that is not enough seed for the acres planted. Thats happened alot in clover mixes throughout the past 10 years. Thats why you see most clover mixes have went up in pounds over the past 2 to 5 years. BUT again,.. thats clover,. not a cereal grain. Overseeding a cereal grain can smother. Especially in a mix.

kubotakid

i strickly use tech. products and love the MAx Attract for fall. If your interested in a perrenial use the moster mix. I planted both last fall in the same fields and the clover/chickory is awesome. In the spring you will have to spray out the cerial grain stuff with a post-emerg grass herbicide. Fertilize mow and you'll have an outstanding crop of clover and chickory. didn't have any problem planting the 2 together at the same time. The biologist at tech. told me it to plant it that way in the fall so the perrenials had a chance to establish roots systems all winter then take off come spring when there is a real lack of nutrition. Max Attract feeds well all winter

Latest posts