tanning a hide

LanceS4803

Good luck with that.
I have deer hides stacking up in the freezer. Found one place in Decatur, AL that wanted $150 to hair on tan one hide. $125 is already fleshed and salted dry.
A place in Phenix City, AL will tan for $45. Again, fleshed and salted dry. He said their primary business is taxidermist who do that work and sent it to him for finishing.
Place in WI (or MN) does green hides for $80 each, not including shipping. Problem could arise with the hide getting warm inroute and resulting hair slippage.
In TN there is a commercial tannery. Just one problem, their minumum order is 500. As in 500 hides!

I am going to try a home tanning kit from McKenzie. Talked to their taxidermist and he recommended one that use white vinegar. He said it is tough work as with all tanning you have to physically break the hide down. Commercial tanners have large tumblers for that.

taximan

fortmans taxidermy & tannery in st mary's ohio

$45 hair on - yote
$39 hair on - fox

www.fortmantaxidermy.com

he prefers them fleshed and salted

I just picked up two bear hides from him for clients and he does an excellent job!

I believe the kit that lance is talking about is the Mckenzie deer skin tanning kit and it either comes with a dvd or a vhs tape....my taxidermy supply catalog has them for $26.45

if you are gonna ship them in the "green" state (not fleshed or salted) somewhere the winter is the time to ship them...just freeze them rock hard, wrap in a batte of insulation and ship overnight, or ship them in a cooler. you will be fine...i do it quite frequently.

LanceS4803

I ordered the kit and watched the DVD last night. About scared me off with all the work that is involved.

Skin
Scrape the excess meat and fat off
Salt
Soak in vinegar soluution
Flesh excess skin (actually shave off skin thickness with a knife, by hand) THAT looks like a lot of work
Tan
Oil
Stretch/break by hand

pass-thru

Most any taxidermist will ship to a tannery, they don't do their own tanning. Here are 2 reputable tanneries that will do a top quality garment style tan on a fox or yote. I have used moyles. Will send some more pelts off this year and not sure who I'll use yet.

http://www.tubariltd.com/
http://www.moytown.com/

If you are going to ship to either, case skin the k9 and flesh and stretch before skinning. No salt needed. A fox will require very little fleshing if skinned properly. You can scrape off the excess with a dull spoon. You can make your own stretcher out of a board by lookng up the dimensions for a fox or yote board and cutting the board to size. I did this myself and wasn't very hard.

taximan

that moyles has some good prices....I may give them a try on the hides that i do ship out! thanks for the heads up on them. I do most of my tanning in house, ie all whitetail size shoulder mounts and small lifesize mammals. large critters like elk, moose, caribou and med to large lifesizeI do send to tannery.

Latest posts