Talking Mounting Dux?

spitndrum

I wanna hear from you guys about mounting birds, ya there expensive but I love the looks of em. What decides your mind to mount a duck? First duck? First banded duck? mostly any drake?

Whats your thoughts, I am a newbie and this year I'll be going on several hunts all across the state. Post em up if you have some mounted.

easy45

Got my first 2 I ever killed mounted, happened to be a green head and Susie, probably won't get anymore mounted unless it's something weird

rbreedi1

I don't have any mounted yet but I mainly look at how common the species is and just personal preference as far as looks.

Huffman

I mounted my first male widgeon, one of the prettiest birds in my opinion.
image-2.png

rukiddin

I have 10 mounted. I just got a specklebelly and a shoveler back from the taxi. Always wanted a pretty shoveler mounted and finally got one and I had never killed a speck.
The main reason? I just love waterfowl! If I don't have it mounted and I know I put the bird on the water, and its a good representation of the species (drake), then I'll consider having the bird mounted.

Just do me a favor and do your homework when looking for a good duck taxidermist. Nothing I hate worse than seeing a beautiful bird ruined by a taxidermist that has no clue about ducks!! Just because they do a good whitetail, does not mean they can do ducks/geese! My duck taxi lives 5 hours from me, but I have no doubts about the quality of the work when its finished!

rukiddin

spitndrum said:
who does yours keith?

I have a guy in Kernersville NC that does all my ducks.

I have heard good things about the duxrus guy, but just going by pictures I've seen, not all the quality seems to be consistent, but that could just be the pics.

If your willing to pay top price, Artistic Compositions by Shane Smith is south of Chattanooga in N. Alabama. Many would say he is the best in the world....literally. He has won lots of national and world competitions and his work is unbelievable. Scary realism. Google it and check out the website. Very pricey in my opinion, especially with the nature scenes, but if you want the best of the best, he would be worth it.

BowGuy84

I have 2. First was a male woodie...always said since I was a kid that if I killed one I'd mount it. Turned out to be the first duck I knew I killed.

Second was a nice big male greenhead. I killed him on the a hunt with my FIL right after I got engaged to his daughter. I was the only one who shot on him and made a good shot. Just seemed fitting.

I'll second the get someone good to do it. I mine were comparable in price, but not in qulaity. The malard came from here http://www.biglaketaxidermy.com/ great guy and incredible detail on mounts.

BDS05

Add another vote for DUXRUS.
002.jpg

Ultimately, I want a mixed bag of big ducks together in the dead duck all full ploom of course.

I'll accept donations anytime!

rem270

im not a duck hunter but i did go once and i killed a pretty male woodduck. i still got it in the freezer and plan on getting it mounted. i know its nothing special but just thought it would be cool to have one mounted.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have always wanted a male wood duck mounted.
Since I have never killed a duck the odds of it are slim though. :D

Latest posts