Tackle box essentials

Jmed

I live and fish on Chick. Ive been keeping more rods than I like on deck, but its what we are having to do to get a school to fire. I like big worms, swim baits, a deep crank, a flutter spoon, a hair jig, and a walking style topwater. I keep the fairy wands in the locker for the tough bite

akachuck

I live and fish on Chick. Ive been keeping more rods than I like on deck, but its what we are having to do to get a school to fire. I like big worms, swim baits, a deep crank, a flutter spoon, a hair jig, and a walking style topwater. I keep the fairy wands in the locker for the tough bite
What's a fairy wands? Fly rod????

NumberOne

A lot of people think you need to slow down in the summer time. Which sometimes is the right thing to do. But don't be afraid to power fish and cover water. Fish are still eating a lot right now because their metabolism is high. Some of my best fishing last year was late July through august fishing a crankbait and chatterbait in the hottest part of the day. Lat July and August are usually brutal but got on a good bite and rode it for a while. Not saying you shouldn't slow down and drag a worm but Id start out power fishing and make the fish tell you to slow down. Plus fishing pressure slows down this time of year and they don't see many baits like in the spring time. You get around them they will usually eat.

I get caught dragging worms and jigs a lot this time of year though because it gets so hot that I dont necessarily want to be chucking a crankbait all day. But yesterday we drug baits for a couple of hours with no fish in the boat. We went and fished shallow crappie beds around 2 in the afternoon. Bait fish was everywhere on the surface. First cast with a walking bait. Caught a three pounder out of a crappie bed. It was slick calm bright sun. Some times fish dont make sense.

Last edited:

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
My Dad went out the other morning. It was foggy as heck. Within 4 hours on the steel shad he caught spotted bass, largemouth, catfish, walleye, a huge drum, white crappie, and a white bass. Just one of those days.

They weren't biting plastic worms.

RobDooley

this time of year...early morning I use a frog, popper, whopper plopper or wake bait. once the sun is up I ledge fish on the Chick. Deep diving crankbait, preacher jig, big spoon., big swim bait maybe one with a scrounger head. Always this time of year I have a big plastic worm (Zoom Ole Monster) tied on and a jig with trailer.

Latest posts