Food Plots sugar beets

southernhunter

looking for info on sugar beet seed for some guys in the club .including: seeding rate , seed brand and type , planting dates for north alabama -south tennessee,price,ect. a couple of the guys bought a mix that had 90% turnips and 4% sugar beets. their wanting to plant more straight sugar beet seed. if anyone has any info ,id be glad to pass it along. thanks

Bayou Buck

I planted the biologic mix last year and was really impressed with the few beets that were in it. All my turnips last year were devoured by bugs but the beets werent touched and the deer hammered them from October through November. This year I purchased just sugar beet seed from Hancock seeds and mixed them with Daikon readish. I believe this will be a great early season brassica mix compared to the late winter attraction of turnips.

You will not get any bulbs on the beets if fall planted but I plant them for the greens. Middle of August is the best time to plant most brassica in my area in Perry county so I believe you are a little late for this year. It is expensive seed so not sure if I would want to risk wasting the money planting it late.

Latest posts