Stocks

thomasmckinney12

Wanting a thumbhole for my savage, anyone have a suggestion. I've been looking at a Boyd.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

DaveB

I have used Boyds, Stocky's, and Richards Microfit.

Richards is out as they are slow. Actually, slow would be a compliment. Also, when they say the stocks are not finished, they mean that.

Stocky's abandoned the laminated field by jacking their prices through the roof. They want double what they used to charge. I will say the finish on their laminates is great.

Boyd's gets all my business now. Their prices are up about 30 to 60 bucks per stock.

I would recommend finishing the inside of the stock. You can bed the action but Pillar bedding is what I am going to do this next year. While Boyd's stocks are, generally, drop in, you may need your dremel tool. In particular, the safety almost always needs grinding to get some extra room.

I like mine a lot. I have them on 22-250,223,243,7mm08,& 30/06. One not-anticipated benefit is how much better my off hand shooting is because the stock is so much easier to hold on target.

SAM_1247.jpg

TNRifleman

I have had a few Boyd's stocks and have had the thumbhole as well. The Boyd's have some really good things going for them and then a couple of small issues that I didn't care for. First, the fit on everyone I have ever had has been spot on. No material to remove and they are truly a drop in fit. Secondly, they look really good and are finished well. Alos, the thumbhole works great as your hand gets to absorb some of the recoil as opposed to all in the shoulder. FInally, I have never seen a drop in accuracy when using one versus an OEM stock.

The negatives for me is that the laminate wood is VERY soft and dings up pretty easily. It would be hard to pull it up to a tree stand without marking it up in some way. Also, as I mentioned above the finish is very good but EXTREMELY smooth. it almost felt slippery to me it was that smooth. It was worse when it was really cold and I had to make sure I wore gloves with little rubber nubs on them. That being said, if I were to get another one, I would get the grip and fore end checker to alleviate that issue. Hope that helps.

Roost 1

I just ordered another one this week for my savage mzl.... I really like them.
Buddy of mine just bought a Rem 700 with that very stock in your pic..
Here's couple more of mine...

Attachments

• IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 3,544
  • IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 3,553

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have a Richards for my savage ml. What I like about Richards is the ability to customize. I have a left handed thumb hole stock for a right hand action. They do come less finished.

Latest posts