Still no fawns

Food Plot 101

I've been seeing a lot of yearling bucks and does lately, but no mamas. I drive by an area that usually has 8-16 deer in the field any given day. In the last week or 2 that number has shrank to about 3-6. Still haven't seen the first fawn yet, kinda different than in years past. Heat, drought, mortality, who knows? But I have seen several does that either gave birth way early or never became preg.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
I seen two different ones yesterday that were no more than 18" tall & I seen one today in a pack of three does.

There's more around. I seen two palying a week or so ago but I haven't seen them lately.

woodchuckc

I saw one Saturday morning out in the field behind the house with its momma, and again this morning at 5:45 wading in the creek in front of the house on my way into work.

WRF

woodchuckc said:
I saw one Saturday morning out in the field behind the house with its momma, and again this morning at 5:45 wading in the creek in front of the house on my way into work.

Wading in a creek? Not much wading here in Nashville (although recent rains have helped).

My mother had a fawn in her thick flower/bush bed right next to her pool, which is right next to her house. Was it: simply a nice place to hide a newly dropped fawn - the only reason why my mother knew it was there is because her dog blew out the mother; right next to the house and probably less likely that the 'yotes would find it; or because there is water there - two nearby creeks are bone dry? The mother obviously drinks water, but a fawn sticks to the mother's milk early on, right?

I assume the answer is probably a little of all of the above.

Hawk

There were several at Fall Creek Falls Park last week. I saw two sets of twins and one lone fawn with their mudders.

woodchuckc

WRF said:
woodchuckc said:

Wading in a creek? Not much wading here in Nashville (although recent rains have helped).

My mother had a fawn in her thick flower/bush bed right next to her pool, which is right next to her house. Was it: simply a nice place to hide a newly dropped fawn - the only reason why my mother knew it was there is because her dog blew out the mother; right next to the house and probably less likely that the 'yotes would find it; or because there is water there - two nearby creeks are bone dry? The mother obviously drinks water, but a fawn sticks to the mother's milk early on, right?

I assume the answer is probably a little of all of the above.

We are blessed with quite a few springs around my place. The flow in some is pretty low right now, but most are still going really good. One particular spring supplies water for 4 houses (mine, my mother-in-law, my brother-in-law, and my grandmother-in-law).

156p&y

It seems as though a lot of the deer are spending more and more time in the woods. I was seeing fawns everywhere about 1-2 weeks ago, but everything is so dry and dead out in the open I've noticed the whole herd is spending less and less time in the fields feeding even in the late afternoons. I did see about 10 different deer around a thicket that borders a pond and all of them seemed to be feeding on low level leaves and some weeds at the very edge of openings.

Camp David

Almost ran over one about 2 weeks ago on the 4-wheeler. Scared the heck out of both of us!

Latest posts