Stainless barrel question.

RussellvilleRob

I have a SS 45-cal Encore barrel for sale in the Classifieds. I am selling it for my Father-In-Law.
The thought actually crossed my mind of keeping it for myself. I have a 50-cal Blued barrel.
Does a Stainless barrel have to be seasoned like a regular carbon barrel. I know the Heat Treat characterstics of Stainless is alot different than Carbon. How does this relate to muzzleloading?

Stalker

Clean it, poor some powder down the barrel, add a projectile and let it go! Clean it when you are done.

Stalker

The last SS barrel I had I would wipe down the outside with a silicone cloth after I was done cleaning. Made it look purty :crazy:

Gravey

Rocketman said:
Thanks for the replies, I think I may be missing something here. Is stainless easier to care for than a blued barrel?
Not necessarily easier to clean but a little more forgiving with powder residue and moisture. It won't rust like blued barrels will if you don't clean them right awasy. That said, my first mz was a Knight and it had a blued barrel. I'm a clean freak though so it was cleaned every time I shot it immediately after I was finished and when I sold it there wasn't a spot of rust on it. Matter of fact, my brother-in-law still hunts with it today. My Encore is stainless and I don't plan to have another mz that's not stainless. Just my personal preference.

Latest posts