Squirrel skinning tips

Omega

In the 80s, I bought a couple squirrel accessories, still have the call, but the skinner is long gone. But it was something simular to these, but at about $5 then, now it's about $20 but the concept is the same, a place to lock the back legs while you make a slit at the tail and pull the "coat" off, the flip it and lock the head and take the "pants" off.

iu

Oh, and I guess the still make the mouth call

recurve60#

In the 80s, I bought a couple squirrel accessories, still have the call, but the skinner is long gone. But it was something simular to these, but at about $5 then, now it's about $20 but the concept is the same, a place to lock the back legs while you make a slit at the tail and pull the "coat" off, the flip it and lock the head and take the "pants" off.

iu

Oh, and I guess the still make the mouth call
Hmmm. Ive never seen that contraption, but I like it.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I dip each one in water and soak the hair before I skin them. I've split them in the back and pulled both ways like the others have said. Most of the time I split them at the butt and down the back leg then step on the tail and pull them by the back legs.

Remington700

I always cut a slit on the back and pull the hide each way. I know a lot of people like to cut below the tail and step on it and pull. I've never been very successful with this method. Also, the skin a lot easier right after the kill.

peytoncreekhunter

I tried to post a YouTube video from meateater on skinning a squirrel but it was restricted. To violent I guess. But look it up, it shows a easy way to skin them.

Omega

Back in the day, my problem was holding on to one end while trying to slip the hide off, that is why the little contraption came in handy, freed up my other hand. I did see a bunch of videos with more or less the same method of skinning, but the one with the guy using a hatchet was pretty slick, he chopped off the feet and head, then dropped them in a bucket of water, after all where in the bucket, he skinned them using more or less the same method as the others. Pretty quick though, but I had grown accustomed to doing all the skinning in the field, so not much water to do it that way.

recurve60#

Ive dunked in water, cut under the tail, cut across the back methods. Years ago I started carrying a hatchet and now I whack the head and feet off, then cut around the midsection and peel. Ive found it faster and cleaner, especially if theyve had time for the hide to draw up.

Levee Jumper

I stretch their legs out and cut their front feet off with side cutters. Put them all in a 5 gallon bucket of water and leave the water running slowly while I clean them keeping my hands and knife hair free throughout the process.

I too use the base of the tail method and catfish skinners to help in getting the bottom half of the hide off and the bunions off of the old male squirrels.

ronnie77

I have my method. Been doing it for 40 yrs, but I'm all ears on how yall clean a squirrel. Never a bad idea when it comes to a good clean process that leaves the least bit of hair to pick off.
I generally make an incision at the tail, stand on the tail and pull its feet straight up. It take roughly 2.5 minutes with minimum fur

JDG51

For years I cut the back of the tail method and always had 2 people holding. Now I do it by myself and dunk into the water bucket and cut across the back and pull hide off toward both ends. So much easier that way.

Latest posts