Squirrel Recipes?

WTM

here ya go. sub tree rats for the rabbit sichuan.

if you like thai/viet food try the hmong stew you can get the ingredients at wal-mart usually in the produce. except for the lime leaves sub some lime zest and lime juice and add some thai basil. thai basil and lemongrass is usually sold at walmart in produce section. get the thai kitchen premium fish sauce, but better redboat or son's if you can find it.

the paprika and greens stew is my next to try. should be good.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I like to pressure cook them and get all the meat off the bone. Mix the meat up with onion(jalapeños optional), black pepper, salt and natures own seasoning. Mix this in cornmeal with buttermilk and bake on cast iron skillet or make cakes and deep fry. My uncle's recipe, he calls them squirrel cakes.

TAFKAP

Brine first, then marinade. It'll help with keeping it from drying out, plus it'll help tenderize a slight bit.

1.5% of the squirrel's weight in salt + 1.25% of the weight in brown sugar should be an appropriate dry brine. It doesn't make the meat sweet at all. If you want to make a wet brine, combine the weight of the squirrel with the weight of the water to calculate your salt & sugar ratios. It makes a huge difference.

After brining overnight, you can season or marinade however you'd like....but ease off the salt a little since the meat will retain some from the brine.

hillbillyfab

My family really likes the tree rats prepared this way.

Weegee

I know frying is very traditional, but like many others have said slow cooking them and picking the meat is about fool proof. BBQ, gumbo, Thai style curry, the possibilities are endless with some slow cooked squirrel meat.

Chief44

My favorite fried recipe.

sc8point

242355150_3794131970689633_8867365221625009801_n.jpg

This has been a favorite since finding it in Progressive Farmer years ago. It is a good way to use old squirrels that are to tough for frying.

HikeandGoSeek

I know frying is very traditional, but like many others have said slow cooking them and picking the meat is about fool proof. BBQ, gumbo, Thai style curry, the possibilities are endless with some slow cooked squirrel meat.
Mmmmm Thai curry sounds excellent.

Latest posts