Sport/Utility SxS Recommendations

MsuFinProf

Looking into a sport/utility side by side. Never had a side by side but have owned plenty of 4 wheelers. I'm looking for a two seater (probably) and something in the 700 to 1,000 cc size. Want to be able to play on it at Turkey Bay but also want to be able to put a deer in the bed or put a snow plow on the front. Not interested in a Razr or similar type.

Have looked at and driven the Kawasaki Teryx 800, Can Am Commander 800 and 1,000 and a CF Moto UForce 800. Needing some opinions and experience with these brands and others. Dependability, low end torque, and hill climbing/mudding ability more important than top end speed for my use. Thanks for any info you can give in advance.

Gravey

If I was buying a new one I'd look at the Polaris General. It seems to be a hybrid between the rzr and ranger. I have a Honnda Pioneer 700 and it does fine for what I do. It does not have hi and low but never been in a situation I needed it. The 1000's have it. I use it around my house and hunting but have taken it to Windrock twice and it did fine although if buying more for that type of riding it probably wouldn't be my first choice. Im a Honda fan though so hard for me not to go with a Honda.

Tenn.Guy

I've been reading up on the Polaris general and cfmoto. I think either one of those would be a good option. From what I have read the cfmoto is a great deal for the money. More aftermarket parts and facilitys are becoming more available in the US, of course the Polaris will have anything you need more readily available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

I shopped around, talked to people about the various aspects of each type of sxs, and drove a few. I have logged thousands of miles on dirt bike in the 30 years I rode them seriously. So, I had goals that the sxs had to meet. The first is it must be a 50 inch wide model as many trail on our lease and other places are 50". I wanted a low center of gravity to prevent rollover on off camber hillsides. Low range is a must have along with locking differentials. I ended up buying a rzr. People think of them as hotrod dune buggies and do not check them out . I am very pleased with my decision .

shelbydeer

I have a 900 polaris ranger, since i trail ride alot i put a 2 inch lift on it with front a arms and put 30 imch tires on it. I can hang with any of the rzr 1000 om the rocks and mud. I can also use it around the house loading wood,dirt,ect. I also use it deer hunting to load stands in salt, fertilizer, ect. Unless u plan on trail riding 1500 miles a yr ranger would be great.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
After renting a couple of RZR's while in Colorado I have been bit by the SXS bug. I too have been looking at the Polaris General and I think it connects a lot of dots for what I want.

MsuFinProf

I decided on the Kawasaki Teryx 800 LE. Good combination of what I was looking for and 3 year factory warranty. Typically don't buy new, but found a deal I couldn't pass up at a dealer a couple hours north in IL and can buy new for what I have seen used. Pick it up Tuesday.

Attachments

• Resized952017072195141453.jpg
    Resized952017072195141453.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9,250

Labboy

I bought a pioneer 1000 this year and love it. Used it today to rake hay. It will move way faster than I want. I can go to the top of my ridge with ease. The reason I chose it was no belts it gears itself down when coming down a steep grade like my Duramax does.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Kimber45":1wdp2uly said:
I bought a 2017 Ranger 570, but if you're looking for comfort, handling and an awesome ride... 1000 RZR XP is where it's at! My 22 yr old bought one, MAN is it fast and fun!

While we were in Colorado we rented a couple of the RZR 1000's. I was surprised at how well they soaked up big bumps, jumps and rocks while at speed. There is a guy on my route who has one of the turbo models and I would bet anyone on this website that he has at least $45k in it.

Kimber45

UPSman":kt9pxhvn said:
Kimber45":kt9pxhvn said:
I bought a 2017 Ranger 570, but if you're looking for comfort, handling and an awesome ride... 1000 RZR XP is where it's at! My 22 yr old bought one, MAN is it fast and fun!

While we were in Colorado we rented a couple of the RZR 1000's. I was surprised at how well they soaked up big bumps, jumps and rocks while at speed. There is a guy on my route who has one of the turbo models and I would bet anyone on this website that he has at least $45k in it.

OUCH!!

The XP's have the Walker Evans Racing suspension pkg and I agree, they soak up bumps unbelievably well. These toys are WAY too expensive but my son found a 2016 with 500 miles that a younger woman had bought, and decided she could then do without. He got a really good deal on his and transferred the 4 yr warranty she bought too. Those turbos are supposed to run over 100mph.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I know they make 168 HP from the factory. The customer of mine has said his was over 200 HP. I think he has 35 inch tires on it and I have never seen it dirty.....

Kimber45

Jacobs came with 29.5" inch tires I think, and he HAS had his plenty dirty :D

I ran his up to 80mph one day but with the power steering and light front end, only takes a few seconds for me to drop back to cruising speed :)

Rebel

After shattering my femur last year on an ATV I switched over to a S x S this year and after much deliberation I bought a Pioneer 700 - 4 deluxe. I installed a street legal kit, got it registered and insured legally for the blacktops, and added a few other options. I looked at the Polaris but decided my past experience with a CVT transmission vs. the dependability of Honda and finally decided on the Pioneer. I chose the deluxe model for the power steering... From my house in Walland we've driven to Townsend, Smoky Mountains, and to Pigeon Forge.

What I don' like about it is the governor limits the speed at 42mph and I wish the transmission had at least 1 more gear. I could tell you what I like about it but the list is way too long....

Latest posts