Spinning Wing Decoys

Hawk

Should they be outlawed nationally? They are already against the law in Ark. I am all for it. Seems like the only ducks it works on anymore are the younger dumb ones. The very ones it would seem we need to maintain the flocks.

Grizzly Johnson

I really don't see the nationwide ban happening, but if it did, I guess some folks would need to brush up on their calling skills.... :eek: I good either way.... By the time they get to me, their already educated enough anyway.

RNT

I could care less myself. I agree with Grizzly...it's usually hit or miss weather they are effective or not. I will say, though, that when the birds aren't used to them, they will almost try to land on top of them!!

buttonhead

I remember back in 97-98 when them bad boys came out. It was unbelievable. They made the most inexperienced duckhunter a killer. This was a turn in the wrong direction in the evolution of duck hunting in my opinion. Another thing that has hurt the sport is cell phones. I remember hopping a blind in a un-named WMA with a couple of buddies in the early 90's. We were the only group there. We killed the fire out of them and nobody knew it but us. Nowdays as soon as one duck is killed there is a picture message floating around, text messages, anything you can think of and every hunter within 100 miles knows where the shooting is going on.

Sorry I got off tangent, but YES I wish they were outlawed. Not that I think they are very effective or any of that (which they really are, it just depends on the conditions). I just hate seeing a group throw out 5 decoys and put out 10 robo's and blow the reeds out of their call. These spinners are just the right amount of confidence these guys need to keep coming back to public land and ruining the hunting experience for everybody. Give me some decoys, a jerk string, my trusty ole' DR-85, my smelly black lab, and a couple of buddies anyday of the week. Forget all these electronic circus shows...

rukiddin

just from my personal observations, the spinners work great the first couple of weeks of the season. Teal and woodies seem to love'em all season. But I've noticed in the last 6-7 years that big ducks get wise to them just like everything else. The guys that seem to have the most success with them have at least 5 in their spread. At this point in the game, I don't really think outlawing them is going to show any differece in harvest numbers.

The best thing that consistantly helps me is also the cheapest, just a plain old jerk string, thats whats helped me more than the spinners. I listened to Phil Robertson give a speech in Raliegh NC a few years ago and he said something that I've found to be correct, "If you are where the ducks want to be, then you can whistle dixie and they will come right in". With all these gadgets, I hope and pray that us fellow duck hunters never become the suckers that the deer hunters have become.:)

RNT

buttonhead said:
I just hate seeing a group throw out 5 decoys and put out 10 robo's and blow the reeds out of their call. These spinners are just the right amount of confidence these guys need to keep coming back to public land and ruining the hunting experience for everybody.

I totally agree and I know exactly what you mean...and I maybe even know the WMA you are talkin about!!

I went to school at UTM

buttonhead

No doubt about it, there are days early in the season Robo's are still deadly, even later in the season the birds seem to like them on certain days, but have yall noticed you just can't work in a big group of ducks anymore? I remember back before Robo's getting 50+ birds to land wasn't uncommon (not that I let them land alot, I'm usually blasting by that time), but nowdays we just can't get a good group to finish all the way. We might be able to shoot them at 20-30 yards but getting them all feet down just doesn't happen like it use to. They'll circle and circle and circle all day if you let them. I don't know if thats from spinners, or other reasons. Probably a mixture of little bit of everything...

WingNut

buttonhead you hit it spot on man. I wish they would just do away with em this way RNT and I will have to quit messin' with em.

JThuntsalot

If you are hunting with me it is best to leave the spinners in the truck cause I could care less for them. Yes I have seen them work like nothing else. But not in the last 10 years. We will try one every once in awhile then decide it is best to put them back up.

baller_9

I don't care either way. From what I understand Arkansas banned them in expectations that Tennessee would follow but when we did not they brought them back. I do know in some of my spots in AR if you don't have them out than you will be doin a lot of watching. You UTM boys know all about spinnin wings in that timber!

RNT

baller_9 said:
I don't care either way. From what I understand Arkansas banned them in expectations that Tennessee would follow but when we did not they brought them back. I do know in some of my spots in AR if you don't have them out than you will be doin a lot of watching. You UTM boys know all about spinnin wings in that timber!

:grin: :grin:

A

Anonymous

worst thing that ever happened to the sport, that and the liberal seasons and limits. ducks are bad spooky and shot up by the time they get here.

Latest posts