Speaking of reels and drag.... kind of a review

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I needed 3 more spinning reels to replace some old Pfluegers that they don't make anymore that are just flat out wore out.
I was at Academy and saw a Lews laser lite speed spinning reel.
Looked pretty good and Lews makes good stuff from what I have heard so I thought I would give it a try.
It was almost half the price of the Pflueger Presidents that I normally use so I thought what the heck.

The first thing I noticed was when I am reeling real slow and steady it would feel like my line was loading up, like a light biting crappie but there was nothing there.
I wouldn't call it a "hard spot" in the reel, but definitely has more friction every once in a while.
No big deal really, just not as smooth as the Pflueger.

Then I got a bite and set the hook.
Drag peeled like crazy and I got excited.
Then I realized the drag had slipped, or I forgot to set it.

Basically long story short, the drag will NOT stay set and keeps backing off for some reason.
Only logical thing I can think of is, it is about half the cost of the president. :D

Guess I will be going with the Presidents for replacements.
I could get a higher end Lews but no need to change what ain't broke.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've heard QC on those Presidents has slipped badly in recent years, which is a shame. Lots of guys have migrated to Daiwa Regals.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I've heard QC on those Presidents has slipped badly in recent years, which is a shame. Lots of guys have migrated to Daiwa Regals.
I bought two last year and they are as good as the ones I have that are 5+ years old.
I hope they stay good. I honestly can't say anything bad about them..... yet.

WTM

either those drag washers are dry or they assembled them in the wrong order. more than likely the chinese tech didnt get his beating with his fish head and rice that day.

i think i said this in another thread but for whatever reason some of those reels have zero grease/oil in them when they are leaving the factory. kind of strange since the same factory produces pfleuger, kastking, piscifun, some lews, etc. and the korean factory produces the others except for shimano and diawa entry and mid level reels.

id call lews and have them send me some replacements from a different lot.

Spurhunter

My son bought a new Lew's spinning reel a couple weeks ago. We have a bunch of Lew's stuff we like. It was junk. Rough and noisy right out of the box. He took it back that day.

Pfleuger Presidents are hard to beat IMO. Never had a complaint on them.

Crow Terminator

Dad had me order him 5 Lews baitcasters like Timmy Horton uses...I did and got 2 for me as well. They were $200 each a couple yrs ago. Not one single reel of those 7 is functional now. Several of them had the level wind quit working and or break. The rest, the gears stripped out of them. Dad said he would never buy another Lews and we've since replaced all our bait casters with Diawa Tatula models. No troubles at all. Just routine maintenance for them. The last Lews I gave the benefit of doubt to, was a spinning rod and reel combo I got at Walmart for like $70. It felt really good in hand but the rod broke the first time I took it fishing while reeling in a trout.

On that same note, just this weekend I had a St Croix panfish edition rod break while fighting a little spotted bass. Broke right above the lower guide. I was going to get another one but read reviews that a lot of people were saying the new ones were junk and breaking about in the same place mine did. So I jumped ship and just got an ole Ugly Stick. I figured if it breaks, I'm just out $40.

Sako

I like and have multiple Pflueger Presidentals and they are great reels but I have recently tried the Shimano Sedona FI Spinning Reel and have really like it as well. It is more than the Pfluegers but certainly worth the money... I have a few LEWS baitcasters but they are older and I have had no issues with them thankfully.

scn

For the money, the Shimano Sahara reels are pretty good. They aren't the quality of the high end Shimano reels, but, are pretty solid for their price. They have held up fishing for 30-40# LA redfish in the salt water environment. I do a wash down every day, but they haven't had any issues.

WTM

For the money, the Shimano Sahara reels are pretty good. They aren't the quality of the high end Shimano reels, but, are pretty solid for their price. They have held up fishing for 30-40# LA redfish in the salt water environment. I do a wash down every day, but they haven't had any issues.
i like the sahara and also the nasci. they are on my main bream, brim, broom, brutegill , etc. rods. both in 2500 size.

i use pfleuger trion 30's on my jig pulling rods. pretty good cheap reels.

Latest posts