South Dakota Pheasants 2022

Deer@Dawn

A group of us have hunted in South Dakota every Fall for 18 years. This year was excellent with plenty of birds and some "sporty" shooting (25-40 mph wind)! If you are a wing shooter, the pilgrimage is a must!
1668085204753.jpeg

JN

A trip to the Dakotas for pheasants and Michigan for grouse are two trips I have always wanted to take. Do you take your own dogs and self guide or do you go through a guiding service?

Deer@Dawn

A trip to the Dakotas for pheasants and Michigan for grouse are two trips I have always wanted to take. Do you take your own dogs and self guide or do you go through a guiding service?
I have done both. Mostly guided trips. Getting a new dog this year, I have been without dogs for 5 years. Saw her in S. Dakota with trainer…I am excited! BTW, saw Sage Grouse on this trip but no shots.

Jim

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I e hunted them a few times in North Dakota when waterfowl hunting was slow.
My dad was born in Aberdeen SD and grew up in Minot ND, and he used to get a penny from farmers for every pheasant egg he destroyed. Big money for him! Farmers hated those birds back in the 30's.

JN

I have done both. Mostly guided trips. Getting a new dog this year, I have been without dogs for 5 years. Saw her in S. Dakota with trainer…I am excited! BTW, saw Sage Grouse on this trip but no shots.

Jim
What breed of dog did you get? I have been wanting to get a dog and haven't had one in several years as well. Wife says no have to many animals now but with the way we pick up strays think I am just going to put a puppy in the woods and let the kids find it then everyone will want to keep it then.

Deer@Dawn

What breed of dog did you get? I have been wanting to get a dog and haven't had one in several years as well. Wife says no have to many animals now but with the way we pick up strays think I am just going to put a puppy in the woods and let the kids find it then everyone will want to keep it then.
I have had Labs, Brittanys, and German Short Hair Pointers, all worked well. I have chosen a pointing/flushing Lab from English stock. I know the breeder and trainer well so I have a good idea of what I am getting. These days a hunting partner and indoor friend are definitely part of my requirements.

Jim

JN

I have had Labs, Brittanys, and German Short Hair Pointers, all worked well. I have chosen a pointing/flushing Lab from English stock. I know the breeder and trainer well so I have a good idea of what I am getting. These days a hunting partner and indoor friend are definitely part of my requirements.

Jim
Nice the last one I had was a lab. Actually had two (Lucy and Ethel) one turned out great as a flushing dog other got gun shy for some reason and became the house dog. I hunted woodcock, grouse, and quail with her then when she was about 7 she just got a tumor and passed away. We mainly raised English setters but I have been thinking about getting a field spaniel this time.

Once you start using the dog would love see some pictures and how it is doing.

Deer@Dawn

Nice the last one I had was a lab. Actually had two (Lucy and Ethel) one turned out great as a flushing dog other got gun shy for some reason and became the house dog. I hunted woodcock, grouse, and quail with her then when she was about 7 she just got a tumor and passed away. We mainly raised English setters but I have been thinking about getting a field spaniel this time.

Once you start using the dog would love see some pictures and how it is doing.
I will try to post some pics and video. I plan to return to SD in early January to pick up the dog and make a late season hunt.

7mm08

Outstanding!!!! Looks like a great time!

Great fun indeed. I went to Winner SD YEARS ago. Great time on a family farm.
PS MINNESOTA in the Chippewa National Forest is polluted with grouse

Latest posts