South Cherokee Find

Simpleman.2

One of my buds was out in his boat on Parksville lake a few days ago and found this big 13pt floating in the water dead! He searched around and never did find a bullet hole anywhere on the deer. It hasn't been dead long. Maybe a few days. It's a shame nobody could have harvested it. I'm curious as to how it died. Either way a really cool find... for all the people who say these mountains don't grow good deer here you go.
c48ed6f872bbeeeb572da98a6390ebed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simpleman.2

Yeah it would definitely be cool to know the story behind it.

DRSJ35

if theres no bullet hole maybe it slipped fell down a ravine and drowned.all speculation of course.but thats a nice buck for sure

Simpleman.2

DRSJ35":3j7vzr8q said:
if theres no bullet hole maybe it slipped fell down a ravine and drowned.all speculation of course.but thats a nice buck for sure

That could very well be possible considering how steep some of the hollers and ravines are around the lake. I'm hoping it was something along that line and not disease.

Simpleman.2

CATCHDAWG":3n6t18ln said:
That's cool. When your talking about tens of thousands of acres, there's no telling what kind of bucks are in those mountains!

There's some dandies that's for sure. But like you said with so many acres to run around on the deer could be there one day and the next day be miles away. It definitely makes for a very challenging but rewarding hunt when it works out. I know of two very nice bucks killed this year In the 150-160 class taken up here this year.

Simpleman.2

dhpro":1vh0calx said:
Never heard of deer floating ??? You don't suppose he grabbed his back leg and drowned him ??

Deer float. I've seen it first hand a few years ago when my buddy shot a buck along a river edge and fell in dead. It floated and we had to get in the water to go get it. I also have floated several behind kayaks that I have killed. There's another pic.
cbfaef31d37328cf9df8af092dbd7d88.png

If you look at it's eyes and face you can tell it's been dead for a few days.

Boone 58

Simpleman.2":19mrzos9 said:
dhpro":19mrzos9 said:
Never heard of deer floating ??? You don't suppose he grabbed his back leg and drowned him ??

Deer float. I've seen it first hand a few years ago when my buddy shot a buck along a river edge and fell in dead. It floated and we had to get in the water to go get it. I also have floated several behind kayaks that I have killed. There's another pic.
cbfaef31d37328cf9df8af092dbd7d88.png

If you look at it's eyes and face you can tell it's been dead for a few days.

Like with human bodies deer will float as the tissues break down internally and release gases..........this deer had been dead probably at least 3+ days.

Biggun4214

The hollow hair keeps deer afloat, dead or alive. Legally it needs to be reported the same as a roadkill.

I got a call a few yeas ago that was walking across a field and just fell over. The only mark on it was a small puncture under its chin. The only thing I could figure happened was it had been fighting and the jugular vein was nicked and it bled to death.

cecil30-30

Biggun4214":2690pvtj said:
The hollow hair keeps deer afloat, dead or alive. Legally it needs to be reported the same as a roadkill.

I got a call a few yeas ago that was walking across a field and just fell over. The only mark on it was a small puncture under its chin. The only thing I could figure happened was it had been fighting and the jugular vein was nicked and it bled to death.
If you report it twra may take it. I found a nice 10pt dead once. I did what i thought I was supposed to do and reported it. The county game warden showed up and took it so it could be tested for ehd. Never did get it back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts