South Cherokee Burning

cowhunter71

Past two mornings the South wind has covered us up with smoke at daylight. Appears the Forest Service is and has been burning since opening day down in Ocoee. Seems they have plans to burn right up through Polk, Monroe, and McMinn Counties into next week and beyond. For an agency that is supposed to be working hand and hand with the NWTF, what the F@ck are they thinking. No telling how many nest this will burn up. As every year, already seeing lone Hens in nesting mode, both on the mountain, as well as around the house. They must have gotten their nesting information from that friggin kook Chamberlain. I've lived my entire life in the South and have seen countless public grounds managed for Turkeys in several states. Never once, has prescribed burning been in the cards, either during season, or even 2 weeks leading up to an opener.

Bgoodman30

The Chamberlain kook says the nest damage by PF is marginal at best. I would think it would be even lower when they are just now initiating nest. Sounds like a good thing to follow! Turkeys will be on the fresh burn like flys on $%it..

FLTENNHUNTER1

Past two mornings the South wind has covered us up with smoke at daylight. Appears the Forest Service is and has been burning since opening day down in Ocoee. Seems they have plans to burn right up through Polk, Monroe, and McMinn Counties into next week and beyond. For an agency that is supposed to be working hand and hand with the NWTF, what the F@ck are they thinking. No telling how many nest this will burn up. As every year, already seeing lone Hens in nesting mode, both on the mountain, as well as around the house. They must have gotten their nesting information from that friggin kook Chamberlain. I've lived my entire life in the South and have seen countless public grounds managed for Turkeys in several states. Never once, has prescribed burning been in the cards, either during season, or even 2 weeks leading up to an opener.
I saw them burning yesterday in Ocoee and was surprised there wasn't a fire truck anywhere.

Andy S.

The Chamberlain kook says the nest damage by PF is marginal at best. I would think it would be even lower when they are just now initiating nest. Sounds like a good thing to follow! Turkeys will be on the fresh burn like flys on $%it..
On the surface, I do not like the looks of burning during nest initiation either. With that said, numerous research papers dating back 30 years suggest and conclude that growing-season burns have minimal direct effect on turkey nest survival. Yes, some casualties, but the return on investment was far better over time. I would call the US FS local office and ask them directly about their burning and get an answer from the horse's mouth.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
You should call them and tell them who you are and your credentials. I'm sure they will listen to all your wisdom and stop the fires immediately.

megalomaniac

Almost all hens will renest if they lose their clutch during laying. TN biologists have proven peak laying doesn't even start till after April 14th. The benefits of a fire after spring Greenup for improving turkey habitat so far outweigh the minimal negatives that it is a no Brainer. The biggest negative of the national forest service is that they put blocks on the burn rotation every 5 or 6 years instead of every 3 years. Heck, it would be best to burn every other year. Birds will be using the burns while they are still smoking, and the new vegetation growth makes for incredible bugging habitat attracting insects for poults.

deerfever

When they get done , I'd be in it! I have killed them in Alabama and smell like a forest fire myself. When the fresh green comes up turkey will be all in the stuff. They love the fresh burn!

cowhunter71

Almost all hens will renest if they lose their clutch during laying. TN biologists have proven peak laying doesn't even start till after April 14th. The benefits of a fire after spring Greenup for improving turkey habitat so far outweigh the minimal negatives that it is a no Brainer. The biggest negative of the national forest service is that they put blocks on the burn rotation every 5 or 6 years instead of every 3 years. Heck, it would be best to burn every other year. Birds will be using the burns while they are still smoking, and the new vegetation growth makes for incredible bugging habitat attracting insects for poults.
Tn biologists, and those who pretend to be, have their heads up their asses when it comes to understanding peak breeding here in the higher elevation of East Tn.;)

Rancocas

Where, exactly in Ocoee is this burning supposed to be?
I passed through the area yesterday, south of Parksville Lake, over Sylco Ridge to hunt. I saw no fire and smelled no smoke.
Unless, they started it in the late afternoon. I was out of there about 2pm.

megalomaniac

Tn biologists, and those who pretend to be, have their heads up their asses when it comes to understanding peak breeding here in the higher elevation of East Tn.;)
I agree TN has had sorely incompetent turkey biologists over the years, but something as simple as average nest initiation is so basic to observe and measure that even TN turkey biologists are capable of documenting.

cowhunter71

I agree TN has had sorely incompetent turkey biologists over the years, but something as simple as average nest initiation is so basic to observe and measure that even TN turkey biologists are capable of documenting.
Actually did not mean to hit the like button. Unfortunately I can not take anything you say regarding Turkey biology seriously. How many nests have you observed in Polk, Monroe, and Eastern McMinn County here in East Tn.

cowhunter71

Got a emergency call it was to start Tuesday at 12 noon around Sloan's gap
Smoke on us today was probably up from around Green Cove Pond. Heard from a friend it was smoldering yesterday. They have us scheduled here for the end of next week. Since Sunday, I have personally witnessed 3 different nests up in the NF with up to 4 eggs already. Buddies of mine on Kimsey have also witnessed several nests already with several eggs, as we do every year at this time.

megalomaniac

Actually did not mean to hit the like button. Unfortunately I can not take anything you say regarding Turkey biology seriously. How many nests have you observed in Polk, Monroe, and Eastern McMinn County here in East Tn.
Zero. Which is why I didn't quote my own personal observations of over 150 nests in middle TN. Just what our TN biologists have found in east TN including Polk, Monroe, and McMinn counties.

Doesn't make a hill of beans difference. Even if every turkey in your hometown starts laying Mar 21st, they will all renest if their eggs are burned now (if toms are available) The benefits FAR outweigh the downside.

Once you get into the 2nd, and esp 3rd week of setting (incubation), renesting doesn't happen if the clutch is destroyed. And that isn't until mid May for the average hen turkey in east TN.

Whether you choose to believe in actual science or not is no skin off my back. I could care less if you still think the world is flat. Doesn't change facts.

Newt

Still you would think they would try to do a burn at the first week or two in March instead of first weeks of April but that's promising that the hens will try to re-nest. I am 100% for burns, but just seems our turkey have a hard enough time nesting without doing a control burn on the front end of nest initiation idk?

cowhunter71

Zero. Which is why I didn't quote my own personal observations of over 150 nests in middle TN. Just what our TN biologists have found in east TN including Polk, Monroe, and McMinn counties.

Doesn't make a hill of beans difference. Even if every turkey in your hometown starts laying Mar 21st, they will all renest if their eggs are burned now (if toms are available) The benefits FAR outweigh the downside.

Once you get into the 2nd, and esp 3rd week of setting (incubation), renesting doesn't happen if the clutch is destroyed. And that isn't until mid May for the average hen turkey in east TN.

Whether you choose to believe in actual science or not is no skin off my back. I could care less if you still think the world is flat. Doesn't change facts.
I'll stick to choosing to believe in what I have personally witnessed in the 19 years I have been living here at the foot of these East Tn Mountains. Seems like science, as well as biology these days, tends to fall in line with a certain agenda;)

timberjack86

Smoke on us today was probably up from around Green Cove Pond. Heard from a friend it was smoldering yesterday. They have us scheduled here for the end of next week. Since Sunday, I have personally witnessed 3 different nests up in the NF with up to 4 eggs already. Buddies of mine on Kimsey have also witnessed several nests already with several eggs, as we do every year at this time.
Are they burning Kimsey?