Son tagged out this morning - 8pt

TN Larry

And he killed his little sister's deer while she was home sick …….lol.

My daughter has hunted this deer all year and was wanting to kill it bad, but it didn't work out for her. We had several pictures of this deer earlier in the year but never saw him in person. My son hunted him a few times in bow season and then her starting juvenile. He disappeared as far as pics the first week of mzl but showed back up a few nights ago.

My son got settled in the blind this morning and had deer on him right at daylight. He saw 4 small bucks together including a button head that had busted through the skin. At about 8:30, he looked out in the field and this deer stepped out. He knew it was around 200 and saw it was a deer he wanted to shoot. He turned broad sided so he shot. He called me and said he'd killed one at 200 and dead in the field. He said it's still trying to raise his head up and asked if he should shoot it again. I have preached this to both kids to shoot again if a deer warps the ground and is still moving. I've heard too many horror stories about deer being spine shocked and running off. I said yes shoot him again. So on the phone, I hear boom, then crap he got up, then boom and silence. He got back on the phone and said it got up after the 2nd shot and started "plowing" out of the field with nose down so he shot again.

At this point my heart sank but told him to go look for blood. He sent me a pic of a big clump, and I really thought he had spine shocked him but was hopeful since it was plowing like a shoulder shot. He didn't spine shoot it though as he made it about 50 yards and was dead inside the woods with a perfect shot.

He took the range finder over later, and the deer was at 236 yds which is his longest shot and farther than I've killed one. The 6.5 manbun strikes again. :) I poke fun at the caliber even though I have one, however, this gun is an absolute tack driver and bad news for deer.

The deer had a massive body. He's super ran down from the rut. I think he probably weighed 150+ dressed earlier but down to 120 today. He was a short deer but super broad across the chest. I initially thought a 3.5 yo but think 4.5 now. Will pull the jawbone in a couple days to see.

That makes him 3 bucks this year including a draw bonus buck and a doe with a crossbow. He's had a pretty good year.

28FD6BDE-1A02-417C-A0D2-4F0D65A5DEB8.jpeg
40384AAA-8CD6-40AC-995D-A19BCB62266D.jpeg
882D65F1-F2AA-4E76-A4B1-16DB385EE0F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts