Son is tagged out

TN Larry

What a weekend in the turkey woods but most importantly celebrating Easter and the resurrection of Jesus.

Yesterday's weather was nasty but was able to put a tag on one after missing, twice. Today started with a great sunrise service. It would have been a perfect turkey hunting morning but sunrise service was more important. We took our turkey hunting stuff with us as we would have a little over an hour to hunt prior to Sunday school. We got there and spotted birds in the field. They got a little nervous as we tried to make a move on them so we backed out with plans to come back after church and family Easter activities. We got back around 430 this afternoon and set up. After a few short calls, a hen came to the field and then four jakes. A few minutes later we hear footsteps, and a gobbler hits the field. He spotted him and told me to cluck to get him to stop. He ran his head up, and he folded him at 36 steps.

Last night he asked if he could take my 12 ga as he wanted to kill one with it. I said sure it is heavier than the 20 and packs a punch but knock yourself out. Lol. It hadn't been out of the safe in the woods since 2016. Lead will still kill a turkey as the 3.5" #6 Longbeards put a hurting on him. I honestly think I would still be shooting lead if not for switching over to the 20. He did say the 20 is much more pleasant to pack and shoot.

I am so blessed to have a son that loves everything outdoors. I am proud but sad as he only has one more juvenile to go and won't need ol Dad much longer. Hopefully he saved me one or two for next weekend.

20.85 lbs
7/8" spurs
9.25" beard

B6DB6516-0DD9-488A-9E86-27BC844B90C1.jpeg

E0A8F568-BA03-4625-8150-D25D964BBB1A.jpeg

Last edited:

TN Larry

Awesome! And you def have your priorities straight! Although we don't ever do sunrise service, Easter Sunday has been good to my kids as well, with 3 killed on Easter... two before church, and 1 after church.
I'll be honest that I was a little bummed with juvenile being on Easter weekend as we wouldn't have an opportunity to hunt before church due to sunrise service. I wasn't about to miss sunrise service though and was blessed with a great hunt this afternoon.

Latest posts