Somebody else got the deer I've been hunting......

pass-thru

I put some traps out on an orchard where they also cut up deer. I stopped in to say hello and as I was leaving, somebody said "did you see the big 11 point shot on the place behind yours?"

Instantly I got a knot in my stomach. I went back in the cooler and sure enough, it was him. Easy to confirm with a buck like that, split browtine. Looks like he'll measure in the 170's.

He had been a precence on our place since 09. I almost got him in 2010. He spent the summer of 20ll munching salad out of mom's garden. I have one of his sheds from last year.

Once in a life time to have a deer like that on our farm in this part of the country. I'm sure I heard the shot that took him down. I'm glad I found out though so I won't be chasing a ghost.

DSCN0461.jpg

1355.jpg

106.jpg

mrw

Wow! It would have been a privilege to chase something like that on your own place. I'm sure he left his genes in the area, maybe you will catch up with his offspring!

pass-thru

It was definately a privilege!!

The intersting thing is the guy who shot him had just bought a 45 acre piece of land with no timber...shot him in the open.

I don't know if he was rutting or pushed. There's an army of orange out this time of year.

ImThere

Wow! But your right at least your not chasing a deer thats no longer there! Bummer that you didn't get him your self!

DMAG

Hey man, on a positive note, there is a reason that buck stayed there and from what I have seen in the past, he will be replaced with another mature deer, possible one of his offspring, either way there is a reason he stayed there.

tickweed

Wow! I know it hurts, they dont come along very often. I guess thats an understatement. Never come along is more like it.

Latest posts