Solid Hippo Ivory

Yotehntr

Well I'm putting together one of my solid Hippo Ivory calls... Thought ya'll might like to see some of the process.. I'm putting the finish on it now, it'll have a hippo ivory toneboard in it too..

Here's the Hippo Tooth... best one I've ever had.. not a crack one in it.. premo! heck I didn't measure the length... I'd guess 14"? It was about 1 3/4" in diameter, that was where my attention was. :)
5-29-11-001.jpg

The scarey part... cutting into it... I just stuck something inside... knew I could deal with a small hollow at the start of one end and lucked up and cut it about right.
5-29-11-002.jpg

Here I've turned it to dimension, squared off the ends and cut to length.
5-29-11-003.jpg

Here it is drilled out, the mouth piece end turned down and the bead cut in....
5-29-11-005.jpg

Here it is, complete to dimension... I just sanded it down, cut the accent lines in and "inked" them in with India ink. I'm letting it dry now... I'll have to put the finish on and complete a toneboard for it... I still can't get over the translucence of this stuff... tough as nails though.
5-29-11-006.jpg

Grizzly Johnson

Thanks for posting the pics, very interesting process. Looks like the beginning of another great looking call... Can't wait to see the finished product.

:)

Yotehntr

Thanks guys! This one is sold, but I can do another from the left side of that tooth... sticker shock warning here though.. I get $250 for the solid Ivory calls.
here's a pic of me cutting the air channel for the toneboard:
5-30-11-001.jpg

The finished product:
5-30-11-004.jpg

5-30-11-005.jpg

Dodge Man

Yotehntr said:
Thanks guys! This one is sold, but I can do another from the left side of that tooth... sticker shock warning here though.. I get $250 for the solid Ivory calls.

People pay over $200 for Acrylic duck and goose calls all the time. I would have thought a all Ivory call would cost more.

Yotehntr

Thanks guys! You're exactly right DodgeMan!.. one of the 1st guys to buy one of these is a duck hunter... he was tickled about the price.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I know as soon as I bought this , I would fall on it or my daughter would use it for a trumpet and end up hiding it in that secret place that nobody knows , not even her and you find it two months later when your cleaning the freezer Out
:$

taximan

that right there is cool as heck!!! great craftsmanship and they look great!!! you have a talent my friend

RaschChronicles

Yotehntr,

Always nice to see a craftsman at work. I was not familiar with the use of Hippo tusks as an ivory substitute, but I am pleased to find this out. I dabble in woodworking, metal working and Longrifles, and it is great to see an application that can be transfered to another craft.

Thanks again for sharing!

Best regards,
Albert �Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!� Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Extreme Wild Boar Hunting, Chronicles� Style!!!

Grizzly Johnson

RaschChronicles said:
Yotehntr,

Always nice to see a craftsman at work. I was not familiar with the use of Hippo tusks as an ivory substitute, but I am pleased to find this out. I dabble in woodworking, metal working and Longrifles, and it is great to see an application that can be transfered to another craft.

Thanks again for sharing!

Best regards,
Albert �Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!� Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Extreme Wild Boar Hunting, Chronicles� Style!!!

You have no idea until you see his work in person.... he did a VERY nice buffalo horn call a little while ago.... OMG it was almost too nice to look at!!!

Latest posts