So what's the coldest

hunter drew

That you have been camping. Mine would have been in the mid 90's and the temp overnight was 8 degrees, one of them camping trips you remember the rest of your life. We got up the next morning and had to heat up the propane with hot water so we could use the Coleman stove to cook with LOL

citico_tim

The coldest that I am aware of was actually in Tellico. It was on a boar hunt and one reason I remember it was that someone got lost that weekend. The news was reporting something like -10 overnight in the mountains and there was concern for the guy not being found alive. They called in the Sherriff, the Highway Patrol, the Rescue Squad, maybe even the National Guard, and every one of them expressed concern about whether anyone could survive such a cold, cold night in the mountains. Well he did. He was able to build a fire and had a hound come in to him which he snuggled up with. The humorous thing was that on this deathly cold night, 2 coon hunters, out having fun, found him and brought him in the next morning. I still chuckle when I think of all those people and the media just certain that no one could survive the night, and a couple of coon hunters out all night enjoying it.

stik

spent 5 days in a tent in hickman county many years ago where the highest temp was 12 degrees. lows were -6 or so.

moondawg

A few years ago, I went camping at Fort Pillow. It was supposed to be cold that weekend, which was fine with me. I wanted to try out my new sleeping bag that was rated down to 15 degrees. I don't know what the actual temp was, but it was in the low 20's/upper teens that night. I got cold in my 15 degree sleeping bag. :eek: Luckily I had a spare that I was using as a pad on my cot. I mustered enough energy to put that bag inside my 15 degree bag...I slept better after that.

Unicam

Fort McCoy Wisconsin, - whatever it was and with the winds it was much much colder!! We chose a few of the coldest days of the year for cold weather survival training, but I did learn how to make an ice house!

skynimrod

Catoosa a couple years back. I think it got down below 0 with a very chilling wind, and I'm from the Northwest for crying out load with lots of winter Elk & Deer tent camps. :D

44fanatic

R.I.P.
-20 elk hunting in Montana. Frostbit my feet and now believe in good money for boots. Experienced -50 with windchills taking it below -100 but was not out in the woods....gotta love those Montana winters

DEER DAVID

Tent camping, about 2 degrees.............for the high that day, about 9 below for the night. Man..........it was cozy that night.

IceMann

Aedc late 80s,It was snowing all the way there,spent the weekend,had to the roads were closed,I got on my tree stand at around 4:30am,started sleeting really bad, around 20 degrees,I was numb all over, wanted to come down,but I was FROZEN to the tree stand, feet were covered in sleet as was treestand,hands were actually frozen to the shot gun were I had sweated somehow.I stayed frozen untill around 11 am, when a group of does and bucks came under me,I managed to fire off some rounds and that acually blew me loose and I was swinging by my safety strap,somehow I got down on the ground, and had shot 2 does,made it back to camp, and quit hunting after that..for many years..

moondawg

elauwit said:
Chief Tap-a-Keg said:
Lots better than summer aint it?...lol

The 3-4 day camp I did back last month was an absolute sweat filled nightmare,complete with storms and bugs...lol
I hate summer camping. ain't nothing like trying to sleep with sweat rolling down your face.

Exactly! No summer camping for me.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Utah around 1984. Hiked up into the mountains to do some spring trout fishing.A late winter storm blew in out of nowhere. It was in the low 20's that night.I was glad my tent had a zipper in the floor for cooking . We burned sterno and Pure Grain alchol to keep warm that night.

Latest posts