Smoking Venison

tnfirefighter

Ok guys Im a little confused about smoking meat, should I smoke it to a certain temp. or should I smoke it for a certain length of time. Also what temp do you smoke cuts of meat at? Everything I have read most venison is smoked at 200-225 degrees until an internal temp of 165.

nbforrest#3

I am smoking some tomorrow for about 4 hours on 225 and
then putting in the oven for a couple more at 250.

JimFromTN

nbforrest#3 said:
I am smoking some tomorrow for about 4 hours on 225 and
then putting in the oven for a couple more at 250.

This is exactly what I do except I wrap it in aluminum foil before putting it in the oven.

I butcher my own deer and save the whole shoulders and the neck roasts for smoking.

medwc

I'm finishing a small doe hindquarter right now. It has been in for 6 1/2 hours at 225 degrees. The meat probe is at 160 right now and it is stuck in the backside of the HQ at the thickest part. I am taking it out at 165. I am new at cooking with a smoker but am loving it so far. About 30 minutes ago I cut some meat off the side and it was AWSOME!!! The picky ol'wife even said that and she is picky about deer meat being to dry. It was/is really moist. I used a mixed recipe of injector in it till it was running out.

fishboy1

medwc said:
I'm finishing a small doe hindquarter right now. It has been in for 6 1/2 hours at 225 degrees. The meat probe is at 160 right now and it is stuck in the backside of the HQ at the thickest part. I am taking it out at 165. I am new at cooking with a smoker but am loving it so far. About 30 minutes ago I cut some meat off the side and it was AWSOME!!! The picky ol'wife even said that and she is picky about deer meat being to dry. It was/is really moist. I used a mixed recipe of injector in it till it was running out.

If it comes out too done, try pulling the next one out at 156' and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I like mine medium- medium rare and it comes out beautiful like roast beef.

Otterman

hungry.gif
You're making my mouth water!

Latest posts