Smokers

Mike Belt

I may be in the market for a smoker like a Bradley or one of Cabela's. I'm thinking about an electric model with the stackable wood chips. Anyone have any of these types or experience with them? Pros or cons?

8POINT

check out masterbuilt smokers online from home depot!!!i paid 173.00 plus tax free shipping!!!its electric and nice!!bass pro has same smoker for 429.00

fishboy1

Mike Belt said:
So what's the difference in smoking versus cold smoking?

The temperature. :grin:

smoking "cooks" the meat at higher temps
Cold smoking "cures" the meat at a lower temp for longer times.

Thats the short answer but think of the types of meat that are cold smoked vs. Smoked. Cold smoked meats tend to be things that will be stored longer. Regular smoked stuff has a shorter shelf life.

mike243

they are 2 diffrent methods,cold smoking is best done in cold temps to keep meats in a safe temp range in order for the smoke to penatrate,cold smoking is used to give smoke flavoring without cooking ,cheeses,breakfast & other types of sausages ,fish ect... ,they all are then cooked by a normal method & must be frozen or refridgerated until you use them,.smoking is a method where the meat is brought up to a safe temp & infused with smoke flavor,it also needs to be refridgerated or froze if not consumed in a normal time after being taken off the smoker.start with a cheap water smoker for $40-$50 for a year or 2 then decide if you want to upgrade.they make a electric brinkman that will cook decent without costing a small fortune,mike243

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I have had both an electric Brinkman and a charcal Brinkman. The charcoal model gives the best flavor in my families opinion.

redblood

I will tell you a cheap way out. Buy you a large charcoal barrel grill. With a spout/ chimney. I bought mine at bass pro for 100 bucks. Put 2 large flat limestone rocjs on the grates. Let your charcoal warm up and ash over and put some wet hickory bark on top of the coal. Close the lid, limit the air intake and keep temp to about 250. The key is to keep the meat on the flat rocks rocks, which will buffer them from the heat. Yum yum

Spike

Treager grill hands down. I have never regreted my purchase. contact Mid south grills in Memphis. Ask for Jim Lehy. Got one 5 years ago. You can also buy the smaller versions at Bass Pro.

TNDeerGuy

This is gonna sound crazy, but a buddy of mine built one just like this from this link. >>> http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html <<<<<
It sounds crazy, but the thing did a fantastic job and he said he only had around $40 in it. The are a ton of plans on the internet and youtube.com for the homemade variety.

Personally, I have a Chargriller grill with a sidebox smoker and love it because of it's versatility.

ewc

I have had a few.

The best way is to buy a Big Green Egg and be done.

My other smoker cost about $6,000. It's a custom dual axle smoker.

It does not cook any better than the Egg. However, it's a crowd pleaser. Cook for a couple hundred and its what I pull-

Good luck.

Latest posts