Smokeless muzzleloader

Shag

I bought a 700 ML and had intentions on sending it to arrowhead to have it converted. Then ran across a good deal on a Savage and didn't get around to it. I need to talk to Tim about getting mine converted.

JCDEERMAN

I'm really interested in going smokeless. What calibers of the Rem 700 are capable of this? Also once it's purchased, what is the average cost of the conversion (roughly)?

Andy S.

I am primarily a thick woods hunter so seems like the 45/70 would work great and potentially be cheaper.
No doubt about it. Smaller, lighter, more compact and nimble, and deadly accurate out to 300 yards. My converted .45/70 CVA Scout V2 conversion gets the nod every hunt now, while my poor Savage .50 hasn't seen the light of day in years.

JCDEERMAN

My converted .45/70 CVA Scout V2 conversion gets the nod every hunt now, while my poor Savage .50 hasn't seen the light of day in years.
If you go this route, are you still able to switch back and forth between smokeless muzzleloader and .45/70?

Andy S.

If you go this route, are you still able to switch back and forth between smokeless muzzleloader and .45/70?
No, the original .45/70 extractor assembly, ejector pin, etc is removed when the gunsmith machines the barrel for the breech plug install. It becomes a .45 caliber muzzleloader at that point. I can shoot either smokeless powder (100% my choice), Pyrodex, or Blackhorn 209 if needed.

JCDEERMAN

No, the original .45/70 extractor assembly, ejector pin, etc is removed when the gunsmith machines the barrel for the breech plug install. It becomes a .45 caliber muzzleloader at that point. I can shoot either smokeless powder (100% my choice), Pyrodex, or Blackhorn 209 if needed.
Thanks, Andy. I was watching a video on youtube and the guy was explaining you could with his Rem 700 build and could actually make the conversion in the field, if necessary, without any tools.

I'm debating on making the investment or waiting on the eventual CWD to get here to Hickman and muzzleloader season being converted to rifle - Therefore not making the investment may be a wiser choice.

Andy S.

I'm debating on making the investment or waiting on the eventual CWD to get here to Hickman and muzzleloader season being converted to rifle - Therefore not making the investment may be a wiser choice.
This is where I am for the majority of my hunting. Basically no need for me to have a MZer unless I travel outside of Unit CWD, or OOS. I can still tote my .45 smokeless if I like, and I do occasionally, but it's hard not to grab a high powered rifle if you can.

Last edited:

philsanchez76

No doubt about it. Smaller, lighter, more compact and nimble, and deadly accurate out to 300 yards. My converted .45/70 CVA Scout V2 conversion gets the nod every hunt now, while my poor Savage .50 hasn't seen the light of day in years.
300 yard accuracy would be amazing. I hunt MZ or slug only WMAs and I've just about had it with the slug gun. And I hate practicing with my muzzleloader cuz of the pain of cleaning. This is what prompted the switch. I want an accurate gun that I actually enjoy practicing with. I finally just tracked down a CVA scout in 45-70. Gonna either send it to Hankins or Tims (not sure if he does the CVA barrels or just rem 700s) or Arrowhead. Anyone have a preference? Seems they both get high praises.

Last edited:

philsanchez76

^^^ All three of those guys do quality work. You will love the .45 smokeless conversion. Short, nimble, compact, accurate and will hammer deer.
Andy since you have the same gun I've got, do you have a magnum primer system going or the 209 primers? And are you running straight bullets sized to your barrel? Or saboted? thx!

Jcalder

If you reload, there's no reason not to shoot sized bullets and ditch the sabots. I prefer the magnum primer ignition over the 209, tho for what most of us do I'm not sure it makes much difference

philsanchez76

If you reload, there's no reason not to shoot sized bullets and ditch the sabots. I prefer the magnum primer ignition over the 209, tho for what most of us do I'm not sure it makes much difference
I've got the most basic single stage press and I reload for 270 and 357 magnum. So bullet sizing doesn't seem like a stretch. My question is do you have to have one of the more expensive barrels to make it worth it? Will my lowly cva scout see that much better accuracy with sizes bullets and magnum rifle primers? I definitely don't mind the little bit of extra work.

Jcalder

I've got the most basic single stage press and I reload for 270 and 357 magnum. So bullet sizing doesn't seem like a stretch. My question is do you have to have one of the more expensive barrels to make it worth it? Will my lowly cva scout see that much better accuracy with sizes bullets and magnum rifle primers? I definitely don't mind the little bit of extra work.
I feel you open up your options if you size the bullets. The die is expensive, but worth it. I never did shoot enough sabots to know if there's a big difference in accuracy, but either way was more than acceptable.

Latest posts