Smoked venison roast!

fishboy1

Wow. That was gooooood!

Processed out the doe I killed Friday.

Took the "football" section of the ham out for the freezer, trimmed and cleaned up the "flat" 2 sections and marinated them in Moores marinade + olive oil for about 2 hours.

Put on the smoker with some cherry wood chunks at 1pm. Let it roll until 6:30pm internal temp was about 156'.

Let it rest for 15 minutes and sliced thin like roast beef. Perfect medium/medium rare.
Served with spring mix salad and some left over wine.

Boy it was gooood! Still moist and tender enough when sliced thin across the grain.

mike243

:cool: wrap in a favorite bacon next time & take it to 190ish,it dont get much better unless you add some pics :D

JimFromTN

Sounds great. When I butcher the deer myself, I will smoke the shoulders until the meat falls off the bone, but I much prefer a good ham smoked to a medium rare and sliced thin. Serve that to non hunters and they will never guess its deer meat.

fishboy1

mike243 said:
:cool: wrap in a favorite bacon next time & take it to 190ish,it dont get much better unless you add some pics :D

The only way I have been able to make it come out edible at 190' is to wrap in foil about 2 hours in. Venison turns out good but the bacon is squishy like a giant tapeworm. :sick:

My smoker doesn't get very hot so I guess Im making jerky to bring it up to 190'.

JimFromTN

fishboy1 said:
mike243 said:

The only way I have been able to make it come out edible at 190' is to wrap in foil about 2 hours in. Venison turns out good but the bacon is squishy like a giant tapeworm. :sick:

My smoker doesn't get very hot so I guess Im making jerky to bring it up to 190'.

Try smoking it for 3, toss out the bacon, and then wrap in foil to seal it and either put it back in the smoker or put in the oven at around 250 for another 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the roast. If you do it in the oven, put it in a pan to catch the drippings. I use the drippings to make BBQ sauce. Pull it out and let it rest for 30 minutes then unwrap and pull apart. You might add some of the juice back to the meat along with a little vinigar. I also like to either add salt, BBQ rub, or cajun spice and mix.

fishboy1

JimFromTN said:
fishboy1 said:
mike243 said:

Try smoking it for 3, toss out the bacon, and then wrap in foil to seal it and either put it back in the smoker or put in the oven at around 250 for another 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the roast. If you do it in the oven, put it in a pan to catch the drippings. I use the drippings to make BBQ sauce. Pull it out and let it rest for 30 minutes then unwrap and pull apart. You might add some of the juice back to the meat along with a little vinigar. I also like to either add salt, BBQ rub, or cajun spice and mix.

Thats almost exactly how I did it when it came out good except I forgot to take the bacon off.

I have to admit, slow cooked pulled venison seems dry to me compared to pork. Tastes great but the texture puts me off a bit. Seems like the only way around that is to use a lot of sauce which somewhat defeats the purpose.

JimFromTN

The reason is that venison is so lean. Its all that fat from the pork that keeps it from drying out. Thats why I reserve some of the juices to add back in after I pull it apart. You can also add a little vinigar which is something that some bbq places do to their pulled pork.

Of course, I only do this with shoulders and necks. If I have a roast, I would do it exactly the way you did it.

Latest posts