Skyscraper

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Well I think I may have screwed up... I have basically put no hunting pressure on this deers core area. It was supposed to rain Sunday night and I have several pics of him close to one of my interior stands after a rain.. When I woke up what do you know no rain... It was still foggy with chance of rain so I was hoping they still may be bedded down so I could make my approach.. I headed in pretty early that morning and what do you know, blow right, blow left, get almost to tree and almost stepped on a deer..... So disgusted I almost turned around and left..

Get in stand and wind is good but I think I boogered the whole place up... At about 7:35am I see a nice 8 cruising at 170 yards he pauses and starts after a doe. The chase is on! I couldn't get the glass on him quick enough to determine if it was Skyscraper especially since he has a nice twin that's 3.5 and not nearly as tall..

About 30 mins later I see a deer appear 160 yards to the left in same general area. A nice big buck and he is walking in my direction... I get my binos on him but couldn't determine if it was him or not.. I keep glassing and snortttt a doe blows right behind me... I drop my binos and he walks out of sight to left...

Story of my life.. Hopefully not locked down...
Don't give up on him! Awesome rack

Bgoodman30

He showed up facing me. Finally got him broadside at about 125 and let it sing. He hopped off like a gazelle into a thick drainage…

No blood. Walked in after about 45 mins and I think I bumped him bedded down. Still no blood.
I am not well….

Ski

He showed up facing me. Finally got him broadside at about 125 and let it sing. He hopped off like a gazelle into a thick drainage…

No blood. Walked in after about 45 mins and I think I bumped him bedded down. Still no blood.
I am not well….

Hang in there and keep after the trail. I know that feeling all too well. If he dropped like you say then I like your chances. Don't get too down just yet.

Bgoodman30

I am not well….

I feel much better that I think he was bedded close to where he went in. Only about 100 or so yards from the shot. I've never seen one do short hops like this one? Working on a dog. I'm going to give it my all.

trout

Hey Man! Hang in there. I understand this was very disappointing but it does not define you. You worked hard for the opportunity, made your best effort, and nearly pulled it off.

Bgoodman30

Hey Man! Hang in there. I understand this was very disappointing but it does not define you. You worked hard for the opportunity, made your best effort, and nearly pulled it off.

I appreciate those words. Even though I failed knowing that I failed the animal hurts worse…

I've never lost a buck and I've called over a dozen trackers and no one can make it…

redblood

Over the last 20 years, on my property we've averaged around 3.3 mature bucks photographed per year. That's a total of about 66 mature bucks over 20 years. How many have we killed? Around 10. That's not a very good "have to kill ratio!"
I got 3 last night within 3 hours, on the same scrape. I must be in an accelerated Class

Attachments

• E6109FDD-8C7E-43F5-8943-8613FF1E3F5B.png
    E6109FDD-8C7E-43F5-8943-8613FF1E3F5B.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 1F7A44CE-352E-4716-8928-CF3A2365392A.png
    1F7A44CE-352E-4716-8928-CF3A2365392A.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 55
  • F4FDF364-B3D5-4204-B0B9-4F0A2A65B514.png
    F4FDF364-B3D5-4204-B0B9-4F0A2A65B514.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 53

Ski

I appreciate those words. Even though I failed knowing that I failed the animal hurts worse…

I've never lost a buck and I've called over a dozen trackers and no one can make it…

A few years ago I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof. I'm talking world class, legit 190s-200s. I made what I felt was a great shot and even heard him crash. When I went to look at the arrow I was elated to see bright foamy blood everywhere. So I followed it to where he crashed ..... then kept following it nearly another mile. I called several dog trackers and nobody answered.

I gathered up about 10 friends and family and grid searched the area. I even offered a $1500 cash reward to anybody who could find him for me. Nothing. 3 days later I bumped him up while searching and he let out a groan then slowly but steadily walked out of my life forever. Nobody ever brought me a rack for reward and I never heard of anybody killing a big deer like that in the area. He'd have attracted attention if he was tagged.

To say I was plumb sick is no lie. I was sick for a year. Worse yet, it was a buck my brother had been hunting and invited me one evening. I only hunted him once and got a shot, then ruined it. I felt bad for the deer and for my brother. I really contemplated never bow hunting again. But as they say, the only way to get over falling off the horse is to climb back up on the saddle.

So you're not alone. It happens to most if not all of us. I know that doesn't give you any comfort, but maybe just knowing that others understand your anguish does. Hang in there.

Bgoodman30

A few years ago I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof. I'm talking world class, legit 190s-200s. I made what I felt was a great shot and even heard him crash. When I went to look at the arrow I was elated to see bright foamy blood everywhere. So I followed it to where he crashed ..... then kept following it nearly another mile. I called several dog trackers and nobody answered.

I gathered up about 10 friends and family and grid searched the area. I even offered a $1500 cash reward to anybody who could find him for me. Nothing. 3 days later I bumped him up while searching and he let out a groan then slowly but steadily walked out of my life forever. Nobody ever brought me a rack for reward and I never heard of anybody killing a big deer like that in the area. He'd have attracted attention if he was tagged.

To say I was plumb sick is no lie. I was sick for a year. Worse yet, it was a buck my brother had been hunting and invited me one evening. I only hunted him once and got a shot, then ruined it. I felt bad for the deer and for my brother. I really contemplated never bow hunting again. But as they say, the only way to get over falling off the horse is to climb back up on the saddle.

So you're not alone. It happens to most if not all of us. I know that doesn't give you any comfort, but maybe just knowing that others understand your anguish does. Hang in there.

Buddy I appreciate this post more than you know... I honestly care more than most folks and that's why this is so hard. Thanks again.

I am not giving up and still pestering trackers..

Latest posts