Should I stick with Triple 7?

UTGrad

I tried the Blackhorn 209 with Winchester Shotshell primers and had several hangfires and misfires. I bought some loose Triple 7, but haven't shot it yet. Is this a safe bet for next season with the potential for long range at 100 grains loose?

fastbs

try it with 80, 100, and 120 (120 i think is max with 777). Don't rule out the pellets till u try them unless u just like playing with the loose stuff. My remington genesis loves 3 pellets which should be similar to 120 grains and the hornady xtp mag 300 grain bullet. shoots much tighter with 3 than 2 pellets.
This is just my best combo yours will probably be different.

Seems like everytime something new comes out everybody jumps on the band wagon for little while then ends up back with some form of 777 or pyrodex.

FULLDRAWXX75

fastbs said:
try it with 80, 100, and 120 (120 i think is max with 777). Don't rule out the pellets till u try them unless u just like playing with the loose stuff. My remington genesis loves 3 pellets which should be similar to 120 grains and the hornady xtp mag 300 grain bullet. shoots much tighter with 3 than 2 pellets.
This is just my best combo yours will probably be different.

Seems like everytime something new comes out everybody jumps on the band wagon for little while then ends up back with some form of 777 or pyrodex.

Ditto, work on finding a load that shoots the best out of "YOUR" gun, what works for someone else's gun may not be the "sweet spot" for yours. That goes for same make & models.

I use the 777 pellets(3-30gr. with T/C lead hollow pt) now with not one single complaint, last yrs shot was 146 yds, deer only made it 30yds. I was considering trying the loose when my pellet supply runs out or before to see how I like it.

FDXX75

mike243

seems like folks always want something new,it dosent matter that what they are using has been working good for a # of years,find what your rifle likes & remember that it is not a target gun it was made for hunting,mike243

iowavf

I use the 777 pellets and never had any troubles. I just like the pellets better for my use. I would probably try some Blackhorn if they decide to make pellets, but until then I'll stick with the 777.

fastbs

cecil30-30 said:
Who all makes pellets?Im just aware of 777 and pyrodex.
personally im not a powerbelt fan. too many unreliability issues including my own. have not been sble to get them to group with three guns now.

mike243

fastbs said:
cecil30-30 said:
personally im not a powerbelt fan. too many unreliability issues including my own. have not been sble to get them to group with three guns now.
nothing was said about powerbelt bullets,he's talking about powder pellets,hate your gun dont like them though mine does :) ,mike243

FULLDRAWXX75

mike243 said:
fastbs said:
cecil30-30 said:
nothing was said about powerbelt bullets,he's talking about powder pellets,hate your gun dont like them though mine does :) ,mike243

NO NO NO...................No PB talk. LOL

Talk about hijackin' a thread.................lol

FDXX75

iowavf

cecil30-30 said:
Pioneer Powder makes some, they are shaped like a cone so I passed on them. My buddy uses the loose Pioneer Powder and likes it. It's about the same thing as Shockley Gold.

cecil30-30

mike243 said:
fastbs said:
cecil30-30 said:
I was thinking the same thing mike!LOL

FULLDRAWXX75

iowavf said:
cecil30-30 said:
Pioneer Powder makes some, they are shaped like a cone so I passed on them. My buddy uses the loose Pioneer Powder and likes it. It's about the same thing as Shockley Gold.

Same company different name on package. One is endorsed by Shockey. (Pioneer & Shockey that is)

FDXX75

Tiny

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
iowavf said:
cecil30-30 said:

Same company different name on package. One is endorsed by Shockey. (Pioneer & Shockey that is)

FDXX75

These are new for 09 slightly different but very close to triple seven pellets or so the article I have read on them say.

http://www.imrpowder.com/white-hots.html

WTM

Tiny said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
iowavf said:
cecil30-30 said:

FDXX75

These are new for 09 slightly different but very close to triple seven pellets or so the article I have read on them say.

http://www.imrpowder.com/white-hots.html

i made a post on this a couple months ago, still havent found any locally, the shipping is 20 bucks extra. from what they say about its about as accurate as measured charges of loose 777, and less fouling. although the velocity is about the same as a 90-100 gr charge 777, it does not seem to stand up to IMR's claims, maybe only with 200gr bullets.

Latest posts