Shotgun Slug Shooters, check this out

JimFromTN

Here is a release from Ballistic Products Inc. This is strictly for reloading right now. I am sure slug manufacturers will be using these things in their slugs before too long. I looked at their specs. You can reload a 500 gr soft point in a 2 3/4" shell and get around 2600 fps. Thats a little better than a 458 lott. The chamber pressure is about the same as a remington buckhammer slug.

The long-awaited arrival of our BLS-12 Ballistic Sabot. After a year of prototyping and the development of our own proprietary resin blend, we are finally ready to unveil our own 12 gauge sabot design. We are launching .50 cal pistol bullets (300 gr., 350 gr., & 500 gr.) at ultra-high velocities up to 2800 feet per second. That's right, 2800 FPS! We will also be offering a fully non-toxic .50 cal bullet (300 gr.) that is custom fitted to our sabot. Born of the rigid ballistic requirements of tactical and national defense loads, this is the first sabot design that reduces spike pressures to allow for higher velocities. What can it do for your shooting?

Thank you! We look forward to assisting your shotgunning needs.

Sincerely,

The entire crew at Ballistic Products Inc.

ewc

1) Ouch (recoil-wise)

2) Pistol bullets are not designed for impact velocity of 2,600-2,800 fps.

BTDT with the Savage 10ml2 in 2001.

I was using Hogdon Lil-Gun (a no-no now). 2,500 impact velocity and 250xtp fragmented on two shots - both kills, but entrance wounds 6-7" in diameter.

The XTP is a poor choice for those speeds.

3) Ouch again (500 gr bullet at 2,600)

JimFromTN

There are allot of people playing around with different loads which I think BPI wants but will not say for legal reasons. I have seen where someone has used the hornady 350gr FPB which is very similar to what Hornady is using in their sst slug. Their is a company Dixie slugs which is doing tests using hard cast bullets as well. The loads that BPI recomends are tested and proven which is why they are recomending hornady. This was originally designed for the military. All of the testing has been done with hastings paradox barrels.

ewc

From their website:

"Our ballistic lab is launching Hornady .50 cal XTP pistol bullets (300 gr., 350 gr., & 500 gr.) at ultra-high velocities up to 2800 feet per second."

The XTP is designed for an impact velocity of around 1,100 fps (going from memory). The XTP mag version may gain you another 400 fps (1,500).

My real-world experience with these bullets is that they will frag when impact velocity is more than double the design velocity.

If they are using a bullet other than the XTP, then they may want to change their announcement / website.

vonb

One question...Why? I didn't know a deer was as hard to kill as an elephant.

JimFromTN

Why not? Flatter trajectory and more enrgy. Now when you sight in at 100 yds, you don't have to worry about drop until you reach out past 150yds.