Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

sjalter

I remember when I was a kid seeing people drive around with either a shotgun or a rifle in the back window of their truck. Now I'm getting old but I'm not overe the hill...yet. Can someone tell me why we don't see that very much anymore? Is it because the guns are much more likely to be stolen nowadays, or is there some law prohibiting carrying firearms in the back window of your pickup truck, or is it just socially unacceptable, or is it for some other reason altogeather. I just remember it being much more prevalent 25 years or so ago.

For me its about having my stuff stolen. I could care less what others think about having it in the window. Not to mention I would get fired at work, arrested picking the kids up and have my window smashed out at Wal-mart by a crack head looking for a fix. I think I'll just cover them up when they ride along, its less of a headache.

mike243

i carried 1 on the back glass during hunting trips for years,when no gun was in it there more than likely was a spinning rod&reel in it,theives would think nothing of busting a window out now,my guns go behind the seat now adays,mike243

sjalter

Cull Buck Hunter said:
For me its about having my stuff stolen. I could care less what others think about having it in the window. Not to mention I would get fired at work, arrested picking the kids up and have my window smashed out at Wal-mart by a crack head looking for a fix. I think I'll just cover them up when they ride along, its less of a headache.

Just curious...arrested picking your kids because of entering a school zone with a gun.

What if an individual came from an afternoon deer hunt to pick up there kids and the deer rifle was in a gun case in the bed of the truck. Is that breaking school policy? If a teacher saw the gun case in the bed of the truck and reported you...what do you think would happen?

How does the law read regarding concealed weapons? If you have your deer rifle stuffed under your truck seat is that concealed? What if your rifle is in one of those things Gravey was talking about that you bolt to the roof of of you truck...is that considered concealed?

mike243

no guns . on school grounds from my understanding,if you cant get to the gun without gtting out of your truck & it is out of site i dont think your breaking the law,i may get a ticket someday but with a regular cab truck seat space is limited,mike243

Tikkabuck

Gravey said:
renegade50 said:
theives and PC
What he said. If you want one within arms reach you can now get them that bolt to the top of the cab and you can't really see them and they're just hanging right above your head within easy reach.
Yup thats how mine is. Some of the older farmers around here still have theirs,in the windows, mostly in the farm trucks but every now and then you see them in town. Mostly for yotes on the farm.

I'm not quoting this as fact, but just as my understanding of the law.

No guns on school property with the exception of having a Handgun Carry Permit picking your kids up from school, but not on your person or leaving the truck with it.

The permit is not for CONCEALED carry it is your option to carry it concealed or open, but my instructor said concealed would cause less trouble. I prefer concealed myself, just my choice.

As for a gummount on the roof of the jeep, well my friend has one on an old army jeep, but he takes the M2 .50cal off before driving down the road, and yes it is a legally registered
belt-fed.

sjalter said:
Cull Buck Hunter said:

Just curious...arrested picking your kids because of entering a school zone with a gun.

What if an individual came from an afternoon deer hunt to pick up there kids and the deer rifle was in a gun case in the bed of the truck. Is that breaking school policy? If a teacher saw the gun case in the bed of the truck and reported you...what do you think would happen?

How does the law read regarding concealed weapons? If you have your deer rifle stuffed under your truck seat is that concealed? What if your rifle is in one of those things Gravey was talking about that you bolt to the roof of of you truck...is that considered concealed?

Latest posts