shotgun cheek riser question (modifications)

REN

ok, i have an idea to add a cheek riser to my turkey gun using a small gel pad (like a mouse pad).

my question is what would be the best way to get it to stay on especially when you have to fold it over the top a bit? i am thinking some sort of adhesive and small tack screws on the edges to hold it in place.

I wish i had an old gun or stock to practice on but currently dont have that option. i have an aftermarket riser now but not a huge fan of it, just think a gel one would be super comfortable and easy on the face in addition it would not have to slip on and off like the one i have now. I am going to do it to my stoeger m2000 which i have 2 stocks for...1 stays on only for turkey season so i would not have to remove the riser for any reason, i can just change out the stock for duck and dove hunting.

JimFromTN

I use a beartooth comb riser kit on my Rem 700. That may be the one you already use but I have never taken mine off since the day I put it on. If you are wanting a DIY project, you could at least use the same principle and just use something that slips over the stock that holds it in place unless you are wanting something more permanant. Of course, how permanant is a gel pad glue to the stock going to be especially if it gets wet.

REN

yeah i have the beartooth one and it is fine, no real complaint with it. however for the pistol grip on the stoeger the slip cover does not really "form fit" and it just bothers me as well as the pad inside of it shifts from time to time.

i know Benilli makes molds on some of the SBE guns so it would be the same concept just more of a DIY. It would be permanent but still leave the ability to remove it and replace it if it becomes worn out, that is why i was thinking of less adhesive and more in using a few set screws to the stock to be the actual hold.

infoman jr.

You might have thought of this, but it's worth mentioning. Be careful not to increase the thickness on the "cheek side" of the stock because that will cause it to cast on.

infoman jr.

REN said:
infoman jr. said:
You might have thought of this, but it's worth mentioning. Be careful not to increase the thickness on the "cheek side" of the stock because that will cause it to cast on.

can you explain this, i am not sure i follow?

I'll do my best.
If you put something between your cheek and the stock, that's like moving your rear sight to the left (if you're a righty), so you'll shoot left. That is unless you press your head over to line up your twin beads (if you have them), which would be uncomfortable and unnatural in an otherwise tense situation.

pressfit

I have been helping kids sight in their trap guns for a while now.. where your cheek rest is like the rear sight on a rifle, before you add anything, you need to put in a full choke, benchrest the gun and shoot it at 13 yards.. this will give you the POI.. point of impact.. once you figure where you are hitting the target then you can make the right adjustments.. remember.. 13 yards.. and benchrest, not offhand and not 14 yards..if you want to do it right.. you wouldnt beleive how many adjustments my daughters trapgun has on it, up,down, left, right, no recoil, more recoil, then the rib on the barrel also adjust for fine tuning POI..

REN

Good info Pressfit. I did the same last year and found out mine is low and left which led to the red dot being added. I didn't do it at 13yds so will try that but did do it off a led sled.

Latest posts