Shot Gun break in

C1295

I am being told that in order for my shot gun to cycle properly with 7 1/2 1 oz. Bird shot it has to be broken in with some heavy shot. Do I really have to put 100-200 rounds through it before it will cycle properly with lighter shots?

C1295

its an ATI Scout I got it for Christmas and first time I shot It it didn't cycle with a turkey load so I sent it back under warranty. It was fixed I got it back shot a few more through it fine it cycles. Took it squirrel hunting and it wont cycle with the bird shot. Reached out and they are telling me in order for it to cycle with that light of a shot it needs to be broken in first. 100-200 rounds through it.

C1295

everything I look up online says the same thing but that just seems kind of odd to me I could be wrong though.

REN

everything I look up online says the same thing but that just seems kind of odd to me I could be wrong though.

cant speak for that gun specifically but thats pretty common on some of the older stoeger and mossberg shotguns. I know the M2000 and even the M3500 stoeger originally said you needed to shoot 100 rounds heavier loads to "break it in"

having said that, I havent heard that as needed on newer age shotguns though

Remington700

The more you shoot it the more the parts wear and it cycles light loads. That being said, I had a Franchi that I had to send back twice for them to get it to cycle correctly. It ended up being a weak spring.

C1295

I would make sure it's very lubed, a couple boxes in the dove field may cure it.
I have been lubing it and Cycling it 100 times a night this week and then Ill try it out again Saturday. I bought some Heavy shells don't know if it will make a difference on that stand point but we will see.

Displaced_Vol

That's not uncommon for manufacturers to talk about break-in periods. I think it was most common for recoil operated semi autos that were 3.5" capable guns trying to cycle light 2.75 loads. By light I mean 7/8 ounce load type stuff. Not just "turkey loads" or "bird shot". The springs and bolt mechanisms needed a certain amount of force to function properly and those super light loads wouldn't provide enough energy unless some components of the gun were "broken-in".
I have never even heard of that gun so I don't know if it's gas operated or a recoil design but you also may want to consider the shells too. I had a 20 gauge auto loader that was struggling with some target loads a couple years ago and a friend told me to try different shells and it's not ever had another problem, even with the same brand and type of shot. It could have been a bad batch of shells.
As to how much oil, I'd see what the manufacturer recommends. I have all recoil operated semis and I use very little oil on mine. I'll clean them with a CLP and occasionally add a small amount of gun oil to friction parts after wiping down the CLP but just the lightest amount of oil.
Last but not least it could just be a problem with the gun. I have a thread on here myself talking about the issues I am having with my own brand new gun so, sometimes $hit happens.

C1295

That's not uncommon for manufacturers to talk about break-in periods. I think it was most common for recoil operated semi autos that were 3.5" capable guns trying to cycle light 2.75 loads. By light I mean 7/8 ounce load type stuff. Not just "turkey loads" or "bird shot". The springs and bolt mechanisms needed a certain amount of force to function properly and those super light loads wouldn't provide enough energy unless some components of the gun were "broken-in".
I have never even heard of that gun so I don't know if it's gas operated or a recoil design but you also may want to consider the shells too. I had a 20 gauge auto loader that was struggling with some target loads a couple years ago and a friend told me to try different shells and it's not ever had another problem, even with the same brand and type of shot. It could have been a bad batch of shells.
As to how much oil, I'd see what the manufacturer recommends. I have all recoil operated semis and I use very little oil on mine. I'll clean them with a CLP and occasionally add a small amount of gun oil to friction parts after wiping down the CLP but just the lightest amount of oil.
Last but not least it could just be a problem with the gun. I have a thread on here myself talking about the issues I am having with my own brand new gun so, sometimes $hit happens.
I sent the gun back one and they sent it back saying there was an o ring missing they replaced but the gun operate fine for them. I have bought some different shells and going to try them. It is a Recoil operated gun. I was using # 7.5 bird shot 1 oz. Winchester and I got me a Box of Remington #8 shot that 1 1/8 oz. and some #6 shot as well going to try them all out and see if it makes a difference.

Displaced_Vol

That's interesting to me that it's a recoil gun with an o-ring. I feel like those are usually on gas guns. Hopefully that takes care of it.

I think to your original question though, yes, some manufacturers talk about break in periods. The discussion about rather or not that's necessary or should it be in 2023 is fine but it's not a totally foreign concept I guess was my larger point.
Good luck let us know how it goes!

DaveTN

A quality firearms comes ready to do its job out of the box. Whether that be as a self-defense gun or a hunting firearm. A thorough cleaning, lube, and sighting in should be all that is needed.

200 rounds are usually recommended for self-defense guns, not to break them in, but to verify function. Kahr is the only gun manufacturer I have seen that requires a break-in period.

If I buy what I believe to be a quality firearm and it doesn't function right out of the box, I send it back.

Did you figure in 200 rounds of break in ammo in the cost of that firearm? Is it the manufacturer telling you that?

wayne

I am being told that in order for my shot gun to cycle properly with 7 1/2 1 oz. Bird shot it has to be broken in with some heavy shot. Do I really have to put 100-200 rounds through it before it will cycle properly with lighter shots?
Try shooting something over 1250 fps.

C1295

Shoot Winchester fast dove, she'll cycle and break in all at the same time,
i was looking for some and couldn't find any. Ended up just using some heavy steel duct shot and it did the trick. If I can find some I'll put a box threw it.

infoman jr.

A quality firearms comes ready to do its job out of the box. Whether that be as a self-defense gun or a hunting firearm. A thorough cleaning, lube, and sighting in should be all that is needed.

200 rounds are usually recommended for self-defense guns, not to break them in, but to verify function. Kahr is the only gun manufacturer I have seen that requires a break-in period.

If I buy what I believe to be a quality firearm and it doesn't function right out of the box, I send it back.

Did you figure in 200 rounds of break in ammo in the cost of that firearm? Is it the manufacturer telling you that?
The Benelli Ultralight and Beretta A400 at my desk both have instructions in the manual for a break-in period. Would you classify them as quality shotguns?

infoman jr.

It's not uncommon for a new gun to "free up" during the first 20-100 rounds - especially semi-autos. Some companies like Beretta have a dry cycle fixture at the factory that they use to cycle the action on new guns so they are more likely to function correctly out of the box. The risk companies run if they tune the gun to run light loads in a brand new condition is once the gun "breaks in", the bolt velocity will be faster than necessary for the life of the gun.

Latest posts