Buying a single shot made today.

TheAirMan

If you were buying a single shot 410 or 20 gauge for a youth, and picking from what is currently being produced today, which would you go with? Im not really looking for a heirloom piece but I want something that's not a piece of junk and functions as it should. I've been hoping to run up on a used h&r but haven't and Christmas is getting closer.

hillbillyfab

It's far from a heirloom, but Steven's makes single shots, that have screw in chokes and safeties on the receivers. I bought my first one several years ago, when I was experimenting with tss for turkey hunting and wanted to swap chokes for patterning. It's always performed when asked.

Wade195

Henry makes a nice looking and well made 410 and 20 gauge. They had a recall in 2020 but the new models are all equiped with the updated parts.
I have the 20 gauge youth and love it.
I had the 410 but never fired it so I moved it.

I love the Henry single shot shotguns and rifles.

mike52

I have a Charles Daily in 410. Good shooter and has a safety. Good price also. I checked on a H & R before I bought this and it was cheeper new that H & R used (if you can find one.) Bought at Outdoor Junction in Cookeville Tn

Smells Like Sulfur

Stevens.

My father-in-law has a Stevens (Sears) made in 1901, it is by far the most accurate shotgun I've ever used, very few pieces to break, and there's so many of them out there that it's easy to find parts.

jwb

My son learned on a ATI over under 410. Price was under $500 and has thumb safety and screw in chokes. I cut about 1 1/2 inches off the butt and added a slip on butt pad. Served us well. He has since upgraded to a youth bps 20 but I still shoot the 410 regularly. Very good gun for the money and excellent to learn with.

jwb

IMG_8278.jpeg

TheAirMan

I looked at a Stevens 301 today. There may be different models but the one I looked at was very small. Didn't appear to be much bigger than a savage rascal. I would rather have something bigger so I'm still on the hunt.

Wade195

Henry 20 gauge youth.

hgcox

If you were buying a single shot 410 or 20 gauge for a youth, and picking from what is currently being produced today, which would you go with? Im not really looking for a heirloom piece but I want something that's not a piece of junk and functions as it should. I've been hoping to run up on a used h&r but haven't and Christmas is getting closer.
i have a lead on one not far from you if interested pm me you number

tntrkkllr

I looked at a Stevens 301 today. There may be different models but the one I looked at was very small. Didn't appear to be much bigger than a savage rascal. I would rather have something bigger so I'm still on the hunt.
I have a Stevens 301 in 410 and use it for turkey it's a very reliable shotgun and a good price

Latest posts