Shooting bench project

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Thought I would start another thread for those that are interested.
I will add pictures and details as I progress.

Got the first step done the other day.
Glad I waited a year because this would have cost me about three times as much as it did this year.

supplies.jpg

The plans were awesome in terms of it showing how long to cut each piece out of every single board.
When it came time to start the actual assembly, that was a different story.
There were no details as to where to lay out each board of certain lengths.
Basically you just had to look at the picture and figure it out.
Luckily later in the process it did give the lengths of a few pieces on the seat assembly.
That, coupled with the removal of the top pieces narrowed it down enough that I was finally able to figure out what to put where.
Kinda started near the end and worked my way back wards. :D
seat assy.jpg

Got the top figured out.
0F2C2F3A-20D2-482D-8674-F90310C59DBD.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveB

Since my carpentry skills are about 1/100th of what I think they are I am following this very closely.

I don't have anything but a handsaw for that 4x4. My circular is about at life's end, its over 30. Think Lowes will cut it for me?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Since my carpentry skills are about 1/100th of what I think they are I am following this very closely.

I don't have anything but a handsaw for that 4x4. My circular is about at life's end, its over 30. Think Lowes will cut it for me?
It's a 6X6 but I bet they would,,,,,, for a small fee. :D

vonb

Ruger,
Looks like you did a good job on building it. I built one exactly like it during COVID lockdown. After having mine almost three years, there's a couple things I'd change:

1) Cut an angle off the end of the 2x6 that the seat boards are attached to. I can't tell you how many times I've hit my shins walking around the seat of the bench.
2) Run a 2x4 across the front bottom of your 2 front legs. This will provide more support.
3) Run a 2x4 from the back legs to the front bottom edge (2x6) of the bench top. This will reduce flex front to back.

Lastly sand all of the edges around the top sides of bench. I went ahead and painted mine with Behr Shark Gray paint. One thing I also need to do is paint under mine in the tight spots. I've had wasps build nests underneath the bench. You go to sit down on a hot summer day and wasps are in your lap. Look under there in the summer time and spray first!

7mm08

Ruger,
Looks like you did a good job on building it. I built one exactly like it during COVID lockdown. After having mine almost three years, there's a couple things I'd change:

1) Cut an angle off the end of the 2x6 that the seat boards are attached to. I can't tell you how many times I've hit my shins walking around the seat of the bench.
2) Run a 2x4 across the front bottom of your 2 front legs. This will provide more support.
3) Run a 2x4 from the back legs to the front bottom edge (2x6) of the bench top. This will reduce flex front to back.

Lastly sand all of the edges around the top sides of bench. I went ahead and painted mine with Behr Shark Gray paint. One thing I also need to do is paint under mine in the tight spots. I've had wasps build nests underneath the bench. You go to sit down on a hot summer day and wasps are in your lap. Look under there in the summer time and spray first!
As much as you HATE spiders paint it light blue underneath to deter spiders….. not kidding. So many houses in the Lowcountry paint porches HAINT BLUE …… the spiders think it's the sky and will not build on it! Ha!

flyinpro

As much as you HATE spiders paint it light blue underneath to deter spiders….. not kidding. So many houses in the Lowcountry paint porches HAINT BLUE …… the spiders think it's the sky and will not build on it! Ha!
I don't know about that color but you need a tarp to keep the bird droppings off of It me thinks. 😳

Carlos

You may want to add a few pcs of notched rails on the edge, to lean a rifle against.

Latest posts