Shell For This Gun

arkansawyer

I recently found my youth model Winchester Model 370 single shot .410 (thought I lost it 20 years ago). The barrel says it's choked down to full and I'm wondering if y'all might know what turkey loads I could safely put through that barrel. I guess I'm curious if there's a round my 7yr old could ethically take a turkey with.

Thoughts? (And thanks!)

-Dylan

TNlandowner

Hey, I'm sure your 7yr old will have many great memories with that shotgun. That shotgun should handle the 3" TSS loads fine. Years ago, I knew a friend who hunted deer with a similar shotgun using slugs.
In 1998, I gave my nephew a Stevens M59A (.410 bolt) shotgun. This was my first shotgun... He never really used the gun and oh, how I would love to have it back! ;o) I offered to buy the gun back anytime...

Rakkin6

Andy S.

Get some TSS 9s or preferably 9.5s. Shoot it at a large piece of paper (36" x 36") to see how it patterns. If pattern is sufficient, you will be good to go to 35-40 yards. If you limit your shots to 25 yards, lead 7.5s may work if you have sufficient pattern density at that distance. The only way to know is to shoot it and see. Good luck.

Rakkin6

Found some Federal .410 #9 for $70.00 or 2 boxes if you are interested. Guy doesn't want to separate them. If you are interested let me know and if he hasn't sold them I will link you two up.

Latest posts