Selling of duck blinds...

hard county

If the blinds are drawn in a completely fair, unrigged drawing, why care what happens after they are drawn? I love to hunt. I would use the blind to my advantage. Also, to me anyone, who buys or attempts to buy a blind in Tennessee is crazy anyways. If I had the money to buy a blind, I would pay to hunt somewhere there are ducks, sure wouldn't be buying a blind in Tennessee.
Why care what happens if someone sells food stamps?

Draw blinds are not a tool to enrich people. They are supposed to give people opportunities to hunt that don't have them.

The government can say it's illegal to sell food stamps or duck blinds if they want and I'm glad they do in both instances.

tickweed

Draw blinds are not a tool to enrich people. They are supposed to give people opportunities to hunt that don't have them.

The government can say it's illegal to sell food stamps or duck blinds if they want and I'm glad they do in both instances.
About as well said as I have heard. I agree.

Headhunter

Not even a valid comparison. The liberal minded, give me everything, I don't have to work for anything, I am entitled to anything mentality is sad and will make up anything to get what they want, including defending this hypocritical proposal.

So long the duck blind drawing is fair, I see no difference in guiding from a blind or renting or selling it. If the guide can draw a blind and make money why can't anyone else?

Headhunter

Actually it is quite different. Granny's license money goes into the twra kitty and counts for PR funds.

Diamond Jim slipping the drawn hunter cash only benefits the drawn hunter and Diamond Jim.

I don't know that the "new" drawing system stopped all the spot selling. Which is what it was, selling a sign on spot since the drawn hunter didn't change. But it had to curtail it significantly because you had to declare your sign ons after the first draw from the tumbler. There was no way of knowing after that whether you had first pick or last.

Diamond Jim slipping you cash to sign on and then you getting pulled last would be a bad investment for ol Jim.
What is the difference in Diamond Jim and a guide? Nothing, as long as the drawing is fair and not rigged in any way at all.

Well there is one difference, Diamond Jim, most likely will not hunt every single day and most likely the blind will be open to blind hopping, most likely many days.

A guide will fill that blind most every single day and there will be a small chance of blind hopping.

Last edited:

Shady

Headhunter if you are nothing else, you are relentlessly consistent.

Probably not the hill I would have chosen to die on, but you seem all in.

Gotta love a guy that's fully committed, I get that way sometimes. Bravo

hard county

Not even a valid comparison. The liberal minded, give me everything, I don't have to work for anything, I am entitled to anything mentality is sad and will make up anything to get what they want, including defending this hypocritical proposal.

So long the duck blind drawing is fair, I see no difference in guiding from a blind or renting or selling it. If the guide can draw a blind and make money why can't anyone else?
I hate that politics gets dragged into everything now. The weather, pandemics, and somehow duckblind draws are all somehow liberal vs conservative. It's exhausting. If there were a conservative position to take here, I think it would be that the existence of wmas is a gross overstepping of the intended duties of our government. I don't think thomas jefferson would be at all happy with the situation. I'm a "conservative" but I like wmas, go figure, that might make me a hipocrite.

The question is if the government can/should dictate how commodities paid for by taxpayers can be used. If they can't, Im all for everyone wheeling grandma out of the nursing home to put in for a blind. Let the alcoholics sell their food stamps to buy booze.

Headhunter

I didn't drag politics into it. The TWRA wildlife division did. Talk to them.

They told me the proposal was only to make things more fair for people to get an opportunity to have a blind for a day or two. Not one thing to do with improving duck hunting, habitat, or quality of duck hunting. Not one thing, the guy I spoke to at the wildlife division told me that.

I talked to him for over an hour on the phone. The guy I spoke with said he was only concerned with one thing, give people more chances to get in a blind even if only for a day. He said that was all he could base any proposals on. In my mind that means sell licenses, this one may back fire because I believe it will result in less license sales.

When I ask him about law enforcement and funding, building blinds, etc. for the new proposals, he said they have no clue how it will be paid for or enforced (he had one idea, he told me the area managers are actually wardens and they normally do not normally perform warden duties, but they will have to help out with enforcement of the new regs), he said that, remind anyone of the government? Basically no clue how they will implement the proposal but lets go ahead and pass it. He also stated they polled 10 percent of duck hunters and are not even sure that all polled are actually duck hunters. But they base the proposals for 100 percent of duck hunters on that? He said that is the accepted way to come up with any proposal?

Reminds me of the free migratory bird stamp? Any clue how that turned out and will most likely become a 10, 20, 30 dollar or more license? From what I understand it was always supposed to be free, it is $2 now. It is $15 in Kentucky. I am not complaining about the cost, the fact that they introduced it as a free license and now you have to pay for it.

Bring politics into it? Not me, the TWRA and whoever comes up with this crap does that as much as anyone. In my opinion and most every single person I personally know, believe that most of what the TWRA comes up with, is for one reason only, money. They make laws and proposals according to what will sell licenses more than anything else.

Consistent, hill to die one? Really? Yep no different than the democrats will never try to take your guns? If there is any good in the new proposals, I sure don't see it. Does the blind drawings need to be addressed, I think so, but this is the wrong approach and I don't think will stop the selling of anything. Think a guy who wants to buy a blind for a season, won't buy a 3 day permit if they think the ducks will be there? Think they won't figure out a way to do it?

Tell you what, call a game warden and see what they think of the new proposals. All that I have talked to are overworked (I completely agree, not even close to enough wardens in our state) and they are going wake up EARLY in the morning and go for a boat ride to "police" duck blinds? If I was a warden I would avoid these new proposals and only work what I believe were serious game violations other than worry about who was supposed to be in duck blind, or if a blind it "non-jumpable" and I would not be upset at any officer for that approach at all.

On another point, if you saw what I saw on Priest in the last few years, especially last year, you would understand not only being upset, but begging for help from the TWRA and any law enforcement. Tons of violations most everyday of the summer, many SAFETY violations every single day and there are just are not enough officers. MANY boat ramps have become literal circuses and the corps does not have enough people for sure, and those they have do nothing but ride by once a month and say everything looked ok. I have talked, called and emailed the corps, I have never seen a corps officer on the lake or at a boat ramp. I fish Priest a ton. One of the corps people did tell me he was spending all day on weekends at one boat ramp close to Nashville and it is beyond belief. Most of the interactions he has do not speak English or claim they don't, argue that no one can tell them what to do, they do not have to follow the law, etc. I try my best to be nice and educate people but if you saw all that I do, it is impossible and just like what the corps guy said, the majority do not speak English or claim they don't, they literally have no clue about laws or safety, ZERO.

Our officer caught 3 Mexicans "turkey hunting" on Priest WMA in deer season a couple years ago. One had a 22, one had a 308 and one had an AR. Yep, the wardens should be patrolling duck blinds.

Latest posts