Seating Depth

Tikkabuck

Since 444 brought it up how do you guys figure this out,I always just go by whats in the Sierra loading manuel. Is there a better way can I fine tune my loads some more?

FULLDRAWXX75

Two different ways:

One, buy the tool that will tell you the depth.

Two, put together a dumby load slightly longer than the recommended length, insert in chamber to test the fit. You are looking for the action to close COMPLETELY without force and just start to show signs of the rifling on the bullet. I have used this method many times on my own rifles, be patient and don't force it.

FDXX75

ewc

I can take a Stoney Point tool and can get an exact measurement from the lands to the bullets ogive and then subtract from that measurement, but for my rifles that has always been a moot point as that measurement is greater than my magazine oal.

So, in short, I just use clip/magazine oal and go with that for my oal. I have gottten great accuracy using that oal and varing different powder brands and amounts.

FULLDRAWXX75

ewc,

I have heard of that problem before with certain guns. I have not run into it with mine.

I did not think of that problem, very good point.

The old 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag thing...........lol

FDXX75

.444 Marlin

What they said about the stoney point gauge. I seat all my stuff .010" off the lands..well atleast my remingtons because for some reason, no matter the caliber they all like the bullet .010" off the lands.

FULLDRAWXX75

Thanks for that info. 444,

I will keep that in mind with the new Remington I bought last yr.

started reloading for it then, but will try a few rounds as you suggest to see if any noticeable diff.

thanks again.

FDXX75

CPerkins

What 444 said. I guess Hornady bought the oal gauge patent or something since the new stuff (modified cases and the new gauges) have Hornady on them. Only way to go. Make sure to get the bullet comporator as well so that you can measure from the ogive.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Lots of times if you seat less than .010 off the lands you can wind up with a situation where some bullets may touch the rifling and some not because of the variation in the ogive from bullet to bullet. Anything from .005 into the lands to .005 off the lands is kind of a no-mans-land where bullet variations can cause accuracy problems. That's why at least the .010 or more works best with most hunting rifles. Target rifles work with bullets .010 or more into the lands but that won't work for hunting because the lands may grab the bullet and when you extract an unfired round you wind up with a bullet still in the bore, and action full of powder, and a case ejected.

I made a couple of easy to use bullet seating gauges with $10 worth of material from Lowe's for each. They're more accurate than the Stoney Point or Hornady and a heck of a lot cheaper.

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Two different ways:

One, buy the tool that will tell you the depth.

Two, put together a dumby load slightly longer than the recommended length, insert in chamber to test the fit. You are looking for the action to close COMPLETELY without force and just start to show signs of the rifling on the bullet. I have used this method many times on my own rifles, be patient and don't force it.

FDXX75

Good deal, just make sure it is a dunny round. If you have ever dumped powder into your action and have a bullet stick in the rifling you will learn not to use a loaded round. :blush: ;)

Latest posts