Scrape behavior research

BSK

Don't know how many will find this interesting, but some will. As I've mentioned previously, I'm running a research project looking at buck behavior at scrapes using video trail-cameras. I have years and years of still camera pictures at scrapes, but still images often don't collect good data on behavior, so I'm limiting my research to only the three years of video data I have.

After three years, here's the percent of bucks that display particular behaviors when encountering a scrape, by age (from 643 video scrape visits):

Work the overhanging limb

Yearlings: 78.1%
Middle-aged (2 1/2 and 3 1/2): 87.2%
Mature (4 1/2+): 95.7%

Open the scrape (paw the scrape free of leaves):

Yearlings: 11.0%
Middle-aged: 34.5%
Mature: 55.7%

BSK

Sadly, I didn't record other important scrape behaviors. In fact, I now think they're so important I'm going to have to go back through all the data and collect these new categories, and they will be; 1) urinate in the scrape, and 2) rub-urinate in the scrape. And that second behavior is important. I've noticed that often young bucks will urinate in a scrape but go out of their way to make sure the urine stream does hit their tarsal glands. They will actually spay their rear legs far apart while urinating into the scrape. On the other hand, older bucks make a point of urinating over their tarsals while rubbing them together (rub-urinating). I would like to see the percentages of those behaviors by age.

Ski

That is indeed incredibly interesting! Especially interesting is that you picked out a detail I have never paid any attention to, which is the manner in which the bucks urinate. I've seen the same thing but it never clicked until just now that older bucks rub their tarsals together as they pee, while younger bucks spread like a doe as if they're purposely avoiding getting urine on their tarsals. That's fascinating. Any ideas on why that is? Why would a young buck not want to "perfume" himself?

BSK

That is indeed incredibly interesting! Especially interesting is that you picked out a detail I have never paid any attention to, which is the manner in which the bucks urinate. I've seen the same thing but it never clicked until just now that older bucks rub their tarsals together as they pee, while younger bucks spread like a doe as if they're purposely avoiding getting urine on their tarsals. That's fascinating. Any ideas on why that is? Why would a young buck not want to "perfume" himself?
I think it has to do with the dominance structure of the buck population. A young buck rub-urinating is asking to get his butt wooped!

Ski

I think it has to do with the dominance structure of the buck population. A young buck rub-urinating is asking to get his butt wooped!

Yeah I suppose that's the skinny of it. Seems if they want to breed, and they certainly act like they do, that they'd use any advantage they could. But getting thwapped by a big guy is good reason as any to stay incognito 😂

backyardtndeer

Sadly, I didn't record other important scrape behaviors. In fact, I now think they're so important I'm going to have to go back through all the data and collect these new categories, and they will be; 1) urinate in the scrape, and 2) rub-urinate in the scrape. And that second behavior is important. I've noticed that often young bucks will urinate in a scrape but go out of their way to make sure the urine stream does hit their tarsal glands. They will actually spay their rear legs far apart while urinating into the scrape. On the other hand, older bucks make a point of urinating over their tarsals while rubbing them together (rub-urinating). I would like to see the percentages of those behaviors by age.
Will be interested in reading what you find. I have watched both young and old bucks rub urinate in scrapes. Never really thought anything of there being a difference in age groups that would engage in that behavior, but rather figured it was typical of all bucks.

BSK

Another interesting observation concerning opening scrapes (pawing away the leaves) is that the percentage of older buck visits where older bucks actually work the scrape rises and falls in a somewhat cyclical pattern as the fall progresses. So many hunters have observed that during what they call the "lock-down phase" of the rut, that scrapes also go dead. Well, this is real, but not because bucks stop visiting scrapes. During peak breeding, bucks simply stop working the scrapes. They still visit, but don't paw out the ground. No idea why.

BSK

I may have missed it, but what is the age breakdown of bucks that visit the scrape?

Have u seen MSU recent scrape study?
I have not seen their study. Have a link to a video or paper?

As for age breakdown, do you mean what percent of visits are by each age group? If so, I can generate those numbers. But before I do, I bet the oldest age-classes are over-represented in scrape visits. I can get that data to because I have detailed data on the age structure of the local buck population during the years of the study.

GOODWIN

I have not seen their study. Have a link to a video or paper?

As for age breakdown, do you mean what percent of visits are by each age group? If so, I can generate those numbers. But before I do, I bet the oldest age-classes are over-represented in scrape visits. I can get that data to because I have detailed data on the age structure of the local buck population during the years of the study.

Attachments

• FA2FFF4F-B511-43FC-9F33-298D1D3718F1.png
    FA2FFF4F-B511-43FC-9F33-298D1D3718F1.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 72

Ski

Another interesting observation concerning opening scrapes (pawing away the leaves) is that the percentage of older buck visits where older bucks actually work the scrape rises and falls in a somewhat cyclical pattern as the fall progresses. So many hunters have observed that during what they call the "lock-down phase" of the rut, that scrapes also go dead. Well, this is real, but not because bucks stop visiting scrapes. During peak breeding, bucks simply stop working the scrapes. They still visit, but don't paw out the ground. No idea why.

While I've not broke down & detailed scrape info the way you have, I do notice the cycles you describe. It seems to me that when one buck paws a scrape open, multiple bucks rework it. Then it goes dormant for a bit and starts all over again. I see it happen like that pretty much the entire time bucks are in hard horn, so September through March or April.

BSK

Over 3 years and 643 scrape visits, 36.9% of those visits were by yearling bucks, although 48.9% of the buck population was yearlings. 52.3% of visits were by middle-aged bucks (2 1/2 and 3 1/2) while 43.8% of the population was middle-aged. 10.9% of visits were mature bucks while mature bucks made up 7.3% of the population.

Last edited:

Ski

Have u seen MSU recent scrape study?

That's an interesting chart. I wonder what the sex and age structure was of the areas they studied. I just skimmed through the scrape videos of one of my spots & since 2019 I only caught one 1.5yr old pawing out a scrape or rub/urinating, and it was the same buck in 2020. I saw 2 2.5yr olds doing it. Then multiple 3.5+. Oddly I saw a couple instances where both a 4.5yr and a 5.5yr both spread their legs to urinate. I also saw several instances where 5.5yr olds walked through a scrape but purposely tilted their head to avoid touching the branch or vine. The most peculiar thing was catching 5.5yr olds destroying one scrape then completely ignoring another scrape just 150yds away.

I've not looked through the other properties but I will. The one I did look at is my Ohio place and it's a bachelor pad where bucks often outnumber does, sometimes by a lot. It also has multiple 4.5+ bucks any given year. One of my places here in TN is overrun with does and very young bucks so it'll be interesting to see if it's the same type activity.

BSK

That's an interesting chart. I wonder what the sex and age structure was of the areas they studied. I just skimmed through the scrape videos of one of my spots & since 2019 I only caught one 1.5yr old pawing out a scrape or rub/urinating, and it was the same buck in 2020. I saw 2 2.5yr olds doing it. Then multiple 3.5+. Oddly I saw a couple instances where both a 4.5yr and a 5.5yr both spread their legs to urinate. I also saw several instances where 5.5yr olds walked through a scrape but purposely tilted their head to avoid touching the branch or vine. The most peculiar thing was catching 5.5yr olds destroying one scrape then completely ignoring another scrape just 150yds away.

I've not looked through the other properties but I will. The one I did look at is my Ohio place and it's a bachelor pad where bucks often outnumber does, sometimes by a lot. It also has multiple 4.5+ bucks any given year. One of my places here in TN is overrun with does and very young bucks so it'll be interesting to see if it's the same type activity.
I'll bet sex ratio and buck age structure play a role.

I too find it interesting how often even older bucks walk through a scrape and completely ignore it, even though I have those exact bucks working that scrape previously. Sometimes they're interested in the scrape and sometimes they're not.

Last edited:

LenS

I'm amazed even today at how often I think a scrape hasn't been touched and yet several deer have visited. I'm not running video so I can't say for sure, but it seems that almost all of them work the branch. Does especially seem to do this.

Thanks so much for sharing this, BSK. I can't get enough of this kind of research!

deerhunter10

Very interesting. Especially when you factor in this year and the behavior around it. I wonder what those percentages would be if we were to of had a "normal" year. I know for me the pawing basically stopped the first few days of November and I few random scrapes were opened but not many. But licking branches were wore out this year. Also found looked back on our places and notice the scrapes under a cedar tree or I call the hedge bushes not really sure what they are but very bushy, were hit way more than one under just a normal branch. And some of these locations I use even in summer to get inventory they have been using some of these sites for several years. Please after this year I want to know any statistic possible lead anything at all please share. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure many others do as well.

BSK

Also found looked back on our places and notice the scrapes under a cedar tree or I call the hedge bushes not really sure what they are but very bushy, were hit way more than one under just a normal branch.
That is a simply crazy observation. For the first time ever, we had scrapes showing up under cedar trees this year. Wow, wonder what's up with that?

BSK

Very interesting. Especially when you factor in this year and the behavior around it. I wonder what those percentages would be if we were to of had a "normal" year. I know for me the pawing basically stopped the first few days of November and I few random scrapes were opened but not many.
Scrape visits this year are down by half compared to the huge acorn year of 2021.