Scope upgrade.......Opinions

Savage Shooter

I currently have a Simmons 8 point 3-9x40 on my Savage 30-06. I want to upgrade. With the econopy the way it is, I need to keep the price in the $200.00 range + a little more for some good rings. I have been reading up on the Burris Fullfields, Pentax gameseeker, and Bushnell Elite 3200. The Burris is just above my range and the Pentax is a little below, depending on where I look. The Bushnell is right on the money. The Burris and Bushnell both have better eye releif than the Pentax based on what I have been reading. Any opinions would be appreciated and if I have missed a particular scope please let me know. Eye relief and light gathering are my 2 biggest issues. I am looking for the same 3-9x40 or possibly 50mm. Thanks

JimFromTN

Of the 3, I would either go with the 3200 or the Burris. You should also consider Nikon Buckmaster.

Also, don't be afraid of ebay or buying a used scope. You can get a used leupold VXII in that price range and they have a lifetime warranty. The only thing you have to watch for when buying used leupolds is that people will list a vari xII as a VXII which it is not. The vari xII is the same as a VXI. I have also seen great deals on Nikon Monarch scopes as well as Meotpa scopes. You just have to watch for them.

Tnyoteboy

I would personally save my money for something else other than the Pentax. Maybe the higher end models would be better than the one I have, but eye relief is lacking. I don't think you could go wrong with your other two choices. Check out SWFA and look at their demo models, pretty good deals. Opticsplanet is somewhere I go sometimes too.

A

Anonymous

NIKON makes a good scope for the price range you are talking about. It has good eye releif,as well as light gathering,and clarity. I have one on my sons youth model 243. I really like it . It is the 3x9x40 prostaff. They are $159.99,and the 3x9x50 is $199.99 @ Basspro shop. Hope this helps you out.

Huntinnut

hpdi200 said:
NIKON makes a good scope for the price range you are talking about. It has good eye releif,as well as light gathering,and clarity. I have one on my sons youth model 243. I really like it . It is the 3x9x40 prostaff. They are $159.99,and the 3x9x50 is $199.99 @ Basspro shop. Hope this helps you out.
I agree I have the 3x9x40 prostaff bdc on my 30/06 BAR and love it for the price and quality you can't beat it.

A

Anonymous

Huntinnut said:
hpdi200 said:
I agree I have the 3x9x40 prostaff bdc on my 30/06 BAR and love it for the price and quality you can't beat it.
I can't beleive it ,Someone on here actually agreed with me. thank you so much . LOL.

UTGrad

I highly recommend the Bushnell Elite 3200. I have a 4200 on my rifle and just put a 3200 on my muzzleloader. These are very clear scopes and the Rainguard feature is awesome. My Nikon scope fog up in the cold from my breath, but the Bushnell does not. Reviews are generally excellent for the Bushnell Elite 3200.

Latest posts