School me on crossbows

John3

I am thinking of getting a crossbow and am completely ignorant on the subject. I am wanting something of quality but nowhere near these $2500 jobs I have seen. My kids are coming of age and I think it will be good for me to use and to get them involved as well. I am mainly looking for what features are must haves and any to stay away from. I have always been a compound shooter and like I mentioned, know absolutely zero about crossbows, so please don't hold back anything you think I should know.
Thanks

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
1. Safety wings above the foregrip to protect those fingers. Most have these I believe. I would not want my kids to learn to shoot one without them.
2. Anti-dri fire mechanism for obvious reasons of safety and protection of limbs and string/cables.
3. Cocking method. Manual rope pull will require more arm and back strength verses a mechanical cocker that aids in cocking which reduces strength needed.

I personally decided to go with the compound type crossbow to help keep the physical size smaller. Therefore I went with TenPoint branded bows based on reviews and comments from forums. Just like the 2 individuals commented before me, Excalibur brand would be my suggestion to you if I chose recurve style crossbow. Less maintenance and I think you could change your own strings without any special tooling unlike the compound type.
Whatever you choose, I highly recommend going to your local bow shop or retail store and get your hands on a few and shoot them (recurve, compound and reverse draw compound). Like everything in life, they all have a different feel and balance in your hands. That will help with making your decsion.
Good luck with your search and this new endevour. They are very enjoyable to shoot and use.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
My Wife and I own 2 crossbows. The older one is a Parker that my Dad hunted with and mine is an Xcaliber Micro 335. I didn't think I would be a fan of a recurve xbow but I am. Easy to use, fast and quiet. As stated above, watch the thumbs and always keep them down. Same safety protocols as a loaded rifle. Good luck.

dsa5455

I have an older XCalibur also. As stated above simple and accurate. X2 on keeping the thumbs in place. A co-worker years ago lost the top of his thumb while testing out the crossbows at Bass Pro Shop. I think some of the newer models address this safety issue.

TheLBLman

dsa5455":3br11tee said:
X2 on keeping the thumbs in place.
With older crossbows (those manufactured over 3 to 5 yrs ago), accidentally getting your thumb in the way of the string was easier to happen.

The newer crossbows have made this particular accident much less likely,
as you would almost have to do it purposefully for it to happen (with most).

Frayser

I bought a Carbon Express Piledriver due to a torn rotator cuff. I don't know squat about crossbows but knew I didn't want to spend $1000 on something I might not like or need. This thing is legit! It came with everything I needed - including a crank cocker which I really like.

I ended up being able to shoot my regular bow this year so this thing will probably end up for sale but may just keep it anyway.

medwc

Do NOT get a TenPoint!!!

I spent the money and keep spending money!!!

Yes, it was my decision(a bad one) so I am living with it for the time being. lol...

JMO from experience.

:bash: :bash: :bash:

kamml

I went with a Bear crossbow a couple years back. I was thinking its a great old name and should be a great product. My criticism of it is that the darn thing is too heavy, 7-9 lbs total. For me crossbows are hard to carry in the "at ready position" and almost impossible to sight and shoot quickly from from a slung back carry position. Plus you need a shooting rest, a mono pod/bi pod or some sort to rest the front end on when you aim and shoot if you are still hunting. I can't run and gun with it like I do with my bow, BP or CF rifles. So my advice is go as light as you can with as technically configured a bow as you can afford. The Bear is a great cross bow, its a reverse compound configuration so its narrow, has thumb safety rails, rope cocker (just squat and stand) it has good speed and it has the dry fire safety, plus an adjustable trigger. Its accurate with mechanical broad heads with its mounted scope out to 40 yd.s easy. From a fixed stand it would be great, but as I hunt public land its just a great dust collector... :rotf:

Grill-n-man

First and most importantly is to answer this question How much am I going to spend? 2nd is get on you tube and watch how much a bolt drops at 100yds and it you cant it a mere 5 degrees how far the bolt hits off from point of aim. When you see how many feet and more feet a d then more feet a bolt drops at 100yds and how many inches a few degrees can't tnrows one you'll feel better on reasoning why you don't a $2000+ dollar crossbow that's promoted as 100yd crossbow. Truth is for 50yds, long shot for any archery gear especially in TN, and in a $350 set up will do just as good as a $3000 one. What you generally end up paying for is just like a compound. Name/brand, engineering ( cool look, materials constructed out of, and sights(optics) . Yes the Excalibur is more user friendly but since they were bought out a few years ago they're Matrix and Micro series limb quality has gone downhill. Supposed to be better but. Best thing to do is figure how much total money you want to invest, then go around shouldering them checking fit, feel, and balance just like buying a long gun, and if you don't like the scope that's an easy upgrade. If you need a crank consider that option. But, cranks are nice but can be one cumbersome mess compared to a rope cocker and they take about 5 times longer to use. Crossbow buying is just like buying a firearm. After all the smoke and mirror act is over what does a $2000 one really do that a $350 one won't

Latest posts