Saddle or vent rib mount?

AJared

I am looking to mount a red dot on my Remington 870. Do you all prefer the saddle mount or the vent rib mount? Thanks!

Patrick H

Unless the barrel is pinned or epoxied to the action it will move. Thus an optic mounted to the action will not truly align with the barrel, nor maintain zero. An optic mounted to the rib can be aligned and hold a zero. For a slug gun this is a greater issue than for a Turkey gun.

deerfever

Didn't see drill and tap as an option on his post , sorry ! Drill and tap for sure
Not an option just a suggestion that he may or may not have thought about. He may not want to drill and tap but I was just throwing it out there having been there and done that. Here is another one I used that worked like a charm on a tri star raptor. The gun had a dove tail on the receiver. I bought a dovetail mount and it worked great. I didn't drill and tap that one it worked so well. I am not familiar with the 870 to know of it has a dovetail. Again just throwing out options.

Last edited:

Rakkin6

Also a drill and tap guy for dedicated turkey gun. When you take off the barrel it may change POI but no biggie. I get my red dot centered up first with a couple of light field loads. Then once centered up with those fire one turkey shell at 40 yards make adjustments fire one more at 40 to make sure it is good, then bring it into 20 to check close range shots.

Latest posts