S&W Model 67 and colt frontier revolvers

Rebels20

I have no idea about revolvers but got a smith and wesson model 67 in trade. I have done some research and realize it is a model 15 variant. My question is from looking at gunbroker these things sale from mid $500's to people asking up to $1500 but there are so few available I cannot see the difference or why the prices vary soo much. Walnut grips and stainless. This one is not immaculate and has handling marks. Can anyone tell me why or if there is something special I should look for before pricing this one?

I also got colt frontier scouts 22lr 22mag revolvers. One is black and just states frontier scout and the other says model 62 and is still in original box. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Model 67s aren't that old. They weren't produced until 1972. I have no idea why you would see a model 67 at 1500 unless it was absolutely as new condition and in the box with documentation. A collector might give that kind of money. Also, if you're looking at gun broker or the Smith& Wesson forum, you'll see a lot of guns with crazy prices that will never sell. However, on gun broker you can do an advanced search and see what they actually sold for.

The 15s and 67s are high quality Smith& Wesson 38 special revolvers. They pretty much run in the $500 to $700 range, just like most other Smith & Wesson 38 only, pre-lock revolvers. They aren't as a desirable as the 357 mag model 19 or model 66, so they don't bring as much. The model 67 was used by a lot of police departments that only wanted to use a 38 and not the 357. It was the same political silliness as today's nine versus 40.

All my carry guns are semi autos, but I'm a revolver guy. Smith & Wesson revolvers are my favorite guns and I shoot them more accurately than anything.

What you have is a really enjoyable range gun, you might want to think about keeping. But if you decide to sell you will know real quick if your price is right, an excellent condition 67 with original wood grips will sell in a few hours.

Rebels20

Model 67s aren't that old. They weren't produced until 1972. I have no idea why you would see a model 67 at 1500 unless it was absolutely as new condition and in the box with documentation. A collector might give that kind of money. Also, if you're looking at gun broker or the Smith& Wesson forum, you'll see a lot of guns with crazy prices that will never sell. However, on gun broker you can do an advanced search and see what they actually sold for.

The 15s and 67s are high quality Smith& Wesson 38 special revolvers. They pretty much run in the $500 to $700 range, just like most other Smith & Wesson 38 only, pre-lock revolvers. They aren't as a desirable as the 357 mag model 19 or model 66, so they don't bring as much. The model 67 was used by a lot of police departments that only wanted to use a 38 and not the 357. It was the same political silliness as today's nine versus 40.

All my carry guns are semi autos, but I'm a revolver guy. Smith & Wesson revolvers are my favorite guns and I shoot them more accurately than anything.

What you have is a really enjoyable range gun, you might want to think about keeping. But if you decide to sell you will know real quick if your price is right, an excellent condition 67 with original wood grips will sell in a few hours.
Thank you very much the ones I have seen actually selling seem to 550ish to 750ish on gunbroker. Thank you for the history lesson on them. This one has the original wood grips its not in immaculate condition but is still very useable.

Rebels20

After researching the serial # for k frames it shows this gun was produced in 1950. So perhaps I am completely off on model #. It has the older stainless sights with no black. The serial number is k 92xxx if that helps?

DaveTN

I don't have my Smith& Wesson book with me, I'm not at home. Maybe someone else can help you with that serial number. But if it's a 67, it wasn't produced in 1950. Open the cylinder and look at the part that holds the cylinder to the frame. There should be a model number stamped in it with the model number and a dash. Like 67 or 67-2. Is the gun frame high gloss blue, or nickel, or stainless steel?

Latest posts