S Dakota

Gobble4me757

Not going to make it that way this year.
I'm headed to FL next week for my 1st attempt at the Osceola.
MS opens as I get back.
My girlfriend and I are head to TX the 1 week of April.
So hopefully a good eventful TKY season before TN even opens.
Where will you be? I'm flying in 2 wks to go to Sarasota and okechobe area as well as south of there on private.

Also, buddy in Nebraska said he's gonna have turkeys die off this year…said the snow has been the worst he's ever seen and it's continuing to pile up. I would def check with the biologist.

762hunter

Where will you be? I'm flying in 2 wks to go to Sarasota and okechobe area as well as south of there on private.

Also, buddy in Nebraska said he's gonna have turkeys die off this year…said the snow has been the worst he's ever seen and it's continuing to pile up. I would def check with the biologist.
Headed to some private ground near Okeechobee as well.
Friend of a friend kinda deal so I hope it all works out.

tellico4x4

This will be our first time going. Hitting Nebraska and then travelling up to the Black Hills. Tried to draw a SD tag for private land but didn't get drawn.
Drove from eastern NE ( Nebraska City) to the Sand Hills on two lane roads in November. Never saw a single turkey & very few deer. Was listening to an Ag program on radio & they were talking about how bad the turkey population had become & reducing tags because of. Got to hunt them there in the 90's & they were everywhere.
Good luck in both states & hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Ethan and I drove back from our touring loop after antelope hunting Wyomin in Sept. We wanted to hit Ft Robinson and Carhenge in NE after Rushmore on the way back to Denver. Covered a lot of dirt roads in Pine Ridge, NE and didn't see a single turkey. Really sad how fast the population has fallen off a cliff.

Joe2Kool

I've been to the Pine Ridge area every year for the last 7-8 years. Well, except for 2020 when G&P closed Nebraska to NR hunters. The specific area we hunt is a mix of public and private land, and we haven't seen a big drop-off in the number of birds seen. Been a tough winter in that area this year, but I've already bought my tags. Fingers crossed!

Compared to last year, Nebraska G&P reduced the limit from 3 to 2 birds for residents and NR. They also capped NR tags at 10,000. In recent years, around 15-16,000 NR tags are sold.

Bgoodman30

I've been to the Pine Ridge area every year for the last 7-8 years. Well, except for 2020 when G&P closed Nebraska to NR hunters. The specific area we hunt is a mix of public and private land, and we haven't seen a big drop-off in the number of birds seen. Been a tough winter in that area this year, but I've already bought my tags. Fingers crossed!

Compared to last year, Nebraska G&P reduced the limit from 3 to 2 birds for residents and NR. They also capped NR tags at 10,000. In recent years, around 15-16,000 NR tags are sold.

Have you hunted Rosebud as well? How do you compare the too?

woodsman04

Although I've never hunted Rosebud myself, I've had several friends hunt it in years past. All were successful, some had to work HARD for their birds (nothing wrong with that tho)

Per them, birds are spotty... pockets with plenty of birds, then not another pocket for 5 miles. Your success or failure will depend directly on your Indian guide. Good ones will put you right in the middle of them, bad ones will show up hours late and lead you on wild goose chases.
Yes. Some of them have a tendency to go just awol and missing and never show up. Luckily the guys I went with were good, but they warned me of people that would stay up drinking all night and forget or arrive late.

woodsman04

***UPDATE***
Have now extended the trip, after hunting Rosebud, I will be headed to the Black Hills for some additional sight seeing/Turkey harassment

With a little luck at least 1 will be headed back to TN with me
It's an incredible trip. I've been once and wish to go again. The pretty Merriams are just the bonus for a guy from the south like us

Gobble4me757

Hey 757 and 762, I got confused with your trips. Are you headed to SD/Neb/BH for Merriams this year?
I'm not. Going to south Florida this week. My buddy joining me is coming from Nebraska and has been telling me how rough it is up there weather wise right now. He is saying there will be a die off this year just don't know how bad.he is up in Valentine Nebraska

Kelljp

Prairie is a draw tag, Rosebud is call in using a native guide (1st come till they run out, 400 for non resident) and Black Hills is OTC. According to agent I spoke with in January.

Joe2Kool

I'm not. Going to south Florida this week. My buddy joining me is coming from Nebraska and has been telling me how rough it is up there weather wise right now. He is saying there will be a die off this year just don't know how bad.he is up in Valentine Nebraska
Have fun and post some tailgate pics!

Never hunted Osceolas but they're moving up on my list of future hunts.

Gobble4me757

Have fun and post some tailgate pics!

Never hunted Osceolas but they're moving up on my list of future hunts.
Will do brotha! I've never either and super excited. Wife is 34w preggo but going as long as baby looks good! Buddy from Nebraska is trading some Merriam's for Osceolas so hunting private without having to pay! Hopefully going for 2 each!

Kelljp

Finally got Prairie tag for SD and Rosebud reservation tag. I know Black Hills turkey tags are over the counter. Been thinking while I'm there might as well give it a try. Anyone every hunted that area, suggestions welcomed.

Latest posts