Royal Blue

ford4wd08

I've done some searches on here and found some info from other members, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for royal blue? I might go try it out this weekend or early next week. I wonder if the south end is worth going to? My biggest issue is that it is so big, and I don't know where to start. I don't want to confine myself to one stand and not have a clue where I am. I would rather walk around and find places and hunt at the same time. I am not afraid to put miles on my boots.

Diehard Hunter

I have found that the higher elevations are less productive as it gets colder, and areas with easy access get a lot of pressure

guthooked

You'll definitely need to scout rather than just putting a stand somewhere. I'd walk right at dawn and when you find a saddle in a ridge that has some sign I'd sit to watch it.

Billboy

It is not for the weak-hearted! I used to see deer up high, but after some poor mast production in some areas the deer seem to have headed lower. Also there has a good bit of logging in certain areas which tends to attract deer due to the cover and browse.

Diehard Hunter

I have a buddy that is seeing deer up high right now, but expect that to change when the cold weather gets here. Just hope they don't run off into one of the deep holes, it might take everything you have to get it out.

BlountArrow

Personally, being a life long East Tennesseean and very familiar with Royal Blue I could never imagine hunting any areas of Royal Blue that are off the beaten path without being prepared to quarter and pack out the meat.

ford4wd08

Luckily I get pretty good signal where I'm hunting.... Taking a buddy with me for the opening of modern gun.... SO if something is killed I'll have help or can call someone pretty easily

Its been pretty scarce this year. I have hunted the entire west side since the opening day of archery. I've been low, high, and in fields. Only saw 3 does not much sign at all. Going to try stinking creek this weekend.

ford4wd08

I would say I'm fairly high... I find a new rub just about every day. Find many scrapes that are fresh. I believe they are still in the pre rut and mostly nocturnal.

Your farther north, i have been up and down royal blue road off exit 134. up in the fields behind the church and up and the ridges just before Titus Hollow Road. Going to try the fields off stinging creek road just off 63.

Latest posts